Saturday, February 18, 2023

Dollar box diving: Part 1

One of my favorite sellers on eBay has been featuring a nice quantity of vintage cards in his store at a buck apiece.  I dove in a couple of times during the month of January and found a nice mix of 60's and 70's cards in a trio of sports (wasn't feeling frisky about the basketball portion).  I showed off just one card so far in the Air Coryell post a week or so ago, but now I've got the time, along with a bit of organization, to show off the rest.

First up will be the hockey portion, which totals just 13 cards over 3 different sets from the early 70's, all of which have a long way to go in the set building category.


The lone add from the 72-73 set features Gary Edwards of the Kings.  I've had him confused with another goalie from that era, Gary Smith of the Chicago Black Hawks.  Maybe it's because Mr. Edwards bounced from team to team similar to what Mr. Smith did.  

Edwards' most productive time came with the Kings, where he played 6 seasons with the club.  Gary shared the duties in between the pipes with Kings legend Rogie Vachon, playing 44 games and winning 13.  That club also had the rookie season of Billy Smith from the Islanders dynasty of the late 70's early 80's fame.


The first scan got cut off a bit, but I wound up with 5 cards from the 73-74 set which I have barely touched during my collecting time.  


This is one of the more colorful sets of the 70's, which makes me wonder why I haven't added more to my collection than the paltry 13 cards that I own.  


For the longest time (we're talking years), the only card I had from the 70-71 OPC set I had was Joe Szura of the California Golden Seals.  



Was I ever surprised to see these cards in the dollar "box" on eBay, so I snapped up a few to add to the group.  Names that I recognize as well, such as Pit Martin, Ted Irvine (Chris Jericho's dad if you're into wrestling), and Joe Watson.  I now own 15 cards from the set, which is the same size as the 73-74 set, just 264 cards.  

More to come, next up will be the football portion, including a few from the '69 Topps set that I have really taken a liking to.

Robert

3 comments:

  1. Love it, gotta find a dollar box ebayer, have been a little down on the site lately. ... I love that '70-71 design. The 73-74 has never won me over, which is odd since I like color borders so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know about Ted Irvin being Jericho's father, but as soon as I read it, I saw it. Ted in his 20's looks exactly like Chris in his 20's.

    ReplyDelete