Thursday, February 9, 2023

Better Call Saul

I recently completed a trade for a few football cards from the '79 Topps set, giving up a few '82 Topps doubles in return.  I've been able to nickel and dime my way toward the 300-card plateau on the '79 set.



What's great for me is being able to recognize a few names that came in the trade, most notably wide receiver Drew Pearson of the Cowboys.  It seems like the Cowboys were on TV almost every Sunday afternoon when I was growing up, so you got to know the names of the players seeing them all the time.

I had a laugh at myself as well, seeing the card of Neil O'Donoghue and thinking " I didn't know he started in the NFL as a kicker?"  Then a few minutes later I realized that I was confusing him with Neil O'Donnell, the QB who played for the Steelers and a few other teams in the 90's.  Not only was I off by position, I also missed by a decade as well.


Love the linemen cards, the bios on the back without any stats listed to me is a great look.  I'll let you read them, you don't need me to rehash what you can already see.



Even though Art Shell was the more notable player on this group of 8 cards that came my way, Better Call Shell just sounds like an advertisement for an oil company.  

Better Call Saul is a little more known to people who follow the Breaking Bad franchise anyway....

Robert

4 comments:

  1. This Ron Saul card is one of the bigger mysteries in sports card history. I may do a post on it but briefly.

    In the 1970s - there were numerous media outlets (5-8 of them - AP, UPI FW, PFWA, SN, NEA etc...) that picked ALL-PRO teams and All Conference teams. I maybe wrong but I believe the 1976 Topps set, all the All-Pros basically mirrored the 1975 Sporting News the ALL-AFC, ALL-NFC all conference teams.

    For this card Topps gave Saul the NFC All-Pro guard designation yet he never made one all pro or all conference team that year. I think this/he is the only card like that when Topps was designating their All-Pro teams from (about 1974 to 1981).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collecting this set as well, probably have the same number you do, although I don't recognize many of your recent pick-ups. Probably still need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a heads up - my next Time Travel Trading post will have have a healthy amount of cards from this set. Hopefully there will be some that you and Greg both need!

    ReplyDelete