Thursday, July 29, 2021

You never know what you'll run across on Twitter

So on the weekend I was on twitter when I came across a thread that advertised cards for $5 or less.   A pretty good idea I thought, so I started scrolling down all the tweets.  I figured that I was going to find mostly newer cards on the thread, but I put on the "you never know" hat and kept on scrolling.

Then remarkably, I found this card.


 I like a good deal like everyone else, but seeing this come across at just $4(!) was astounding.  I had to do 2 things first.

  1. Check and see if I needed the card for the set.  I did
  2. Take a closer look, at least as close as I could online.
I thought it was decent enough even with the tape marks top and bottom on the front, so I sat there for a few minutes deciding whether I wanted the card.   

Then I thought to myself, when am I going to find another Billy Martin '59 Topps for $4.  I told the seller Joe (@joewilk) that I'd take it.  Today it arrived.   One closer to the set, and I'm quite happy.  68 to go.

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

8 comments:

  1. TWitter is much better than most bloggers make it out to be. I wouldn't have 3/4ths of my collection without it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's how you prefer to add to your collection, that's cool. The main thing is that you enjoy what you're getting, and hopefully at a good price!!

      Delete
  2. Dude, nice find! I admittedly avoid the vast majority of those threads, but cool to see there are great deals like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one guy that I do buy from regularly on Twitter (Cheap Cards). The other threads I usually don't bother with. I just got lucky I guess.

      Delete
  3. One of these days I'll figure out how to use Twitter (and Facebook) to buy/sell cards. I've heard a lot of success stories, but I just haven't dove into that end of the pool (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sold a grand total of 2 cards on twitter. One was a chance tweet that I put out and spent a good part of a day making the deal. The other was a card that I just sold recently that someone approached me about. The gentleman was referred to me by someone on TCDB that knew I had the card. That negotiation took all of 10 minutes!!

      Delete
  4. Like AJ, I actively avoid those threads (and the trade ones as well), but it is nice to hear that somebody had some success with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned with AJ, the trade/purchase threads for the most part I don't bother with. I will look through them from time to time, but I don't purchase much except from one particular seller, whom I trust.

      Delete