Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Tunnell Vision

OK, let's get the COMC haul started with the '84 Topps cards I bought.  There's 10 in all, and some fairly big names...


5 Hall of Famers adorn this group of 9 cards, and another player who I thought might have been in the HOF (Guidry).  Can you name the three players on the page that were Blue Jays at one point in their career?   Answer later...


I love the team leaders cards in this set.  This one is a good one.  Although the logo looks a little rough, the players on the card certainly aren't.   I, like a lot of people, believe that Lou Whitaker should be in the Hall, alongside his long time SS partner Alan Trammell.  Not only did Jack Morris lead the Tigers in ERA, but he led the league in innings pitched (293.2) and strikeouts (232).  Jack finished 3rd in Cy Young voting in '83, behind winner Lamarr Hoyt and Dan Quisenberry. 

Now that I have these 10 cards in hand, along with the Alan Knicely card from the other day's post, I'm down to just one.   Lee Tunnell, card # 384 is the only one standing between me and a complete set.

I would have bought it on Sportlots with the 100 count lot, but the seller didn't have one.
I refuse to pay 75 cents on COMC for this card.  It's a matter of principle for me.

Image borrowed from COMC.com (as you can see)

I'll find one somewhere that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for.  Maybe I'll find one for trade.  I guess you could say I have a case of Tunnell vision with regards to completing the '84 set.

The 3 players in the first scan that were members of the Jays?  Ken Schrom pitched for parts of 2 seasons in the early 80's for the Jays.   Chris Chambliss was a member of the Jays, only on paper, for 34 days during the '79 off season.   Chris was moved on to the Braves where he played the last 7 full seasons of his 18 year career.  Everyone knows that Winfield finally won his World Series ring with the Blue Jays in '92 at the age of 40. 

That's twice in a week I've used a player's name in the title of a blog post.  Don't get too used to such wit...

Thanks for reading!

Robert

1 comment:

  1. I love COMC, but can't remember the last time I picked up a common on their site. A 75¢ 84T Lee Tunnell has a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete