Saturday, June 16, 2018

Knocked a few off of the 76-77 want list

It took just under two weeks, but the ebay auction that I found for 11 of the cards that I needed for the 76-77 OPC set build finally arrived yesterday.  It felt great deleting these cards from the want list, and I'm hoping that by the time the National rolls around in 6 weeks, I'll have only a handful of cards left on the list.


These are the kinds of cards you end up with as you get towards the end of building a set.  Star power.  Brian Spencer wasn't a big star in the NHL, but he did have a decent career playing over 500 NHL games.  

The other three on the scan are the heavy hitters.  Bill Barber played 12 seasons in the NHL, scored 420 goals and won 2 Stanley Cups with the Flyers.   I was aware that Gerry Cheevers played for some time in the WHA, but what I learned today is that he actually walked out on the Cleveland Crusaders over financial issues, and returned to the Bruins 2 days after that during the 75-76 season. 
Guy Lafleur was the superstar for the Canadiens during the 70's, scoring 50+ goals for 6 straight seasons, 1st team all star each of those years, won the scoring title 3 times and the Stanley Cup 4 times during those 6 years. 


The team photos are what I enjoyed receiving the most.  Here's 3 members of the old Adams Division, the 4th member being the Maple Leafs. 


Interesting that the Black Hawks team card doesn't consist of a team photo, just 23 players/coaches in various poses.  I wonder why that happened.  Also interesting is that the Red Wings ice looks green, wonder if that's just the way the photo was, or if there was something wrong with the water back then in Detroit. 

Needless to say, I love these cards, and I'm glad that I've passed the 90% complete mark for the set.  Just 38 more to go, and about half of those are in my COMC cart just waiting to be shipped.  I can't wait to show the entire set off once it's in hand...

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I don't collect hockey, but try to pick up some of the older stuff for care packages. I have to admit, I am really becoming a fan of the 1970s hockey, though. I really like those team cards....sweet pick ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Upper Deck start using these again, even if it's in just one of their products.

      Even a team photo of the Stanley Cup Champs would be a great card to have.

      Delete
  2. Chicago Cubs cards were notorious for not having team photos too. I wonder if there is something to those both being Chicago teams...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I enjoy reading your blog. I attended an exhibition game in Beijing last fall. Everyone in attendance was given a fold-up panel of 8 Upperdeck hockey cards. Most if not all of the writing is in Chinese. I have no need of them. Would you be interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, I don't think that I'd have any use for those cards as well. Thank you for the offer though!

      Delete