Friday, June 8, 2018

Inbound and Down #42: Sportscards from the Dollar Store

Totally out of the blue, up pops a PWE in my mailbox yesterday from Doug, purveyor of many posts at the Sportscards from the Dollar Store blog. 

Doug helped me out with a dozen cards of my favorite hockey team and hockey player.  


It's already been 4 years since these cards came out.  I remember buying packs Score hockey like it was yesterday.   Now that I think about it, the last time I was able to buy a pack of Score hockey was when I lived in PA; haven't seen one pack since I moved to FL almost 3 years ago.


Some recent Upper Deck additions.  Getting the Marleau from this years Ice set was a nice find as that's another product that doesn't make its way to shelves down here in the tropics.


I like the variety of hockey products that Upper Deck has produced over the years.  One of my favorites has always been SP Authentic, I've loved it since it first came out in the late 90's.  I'd be a bigger fan of the Champs set if the border wasn't so flowery.  Had to take a peek at my Mats Sundin collection to see if I had that 05/06 Parkhurst card.  I didn't, so that's another add to that PC that I've recently resurrected.


Doug batted .500 on the Sakic's.   The Marked by Valor card from 2008-09 I have, the OPC Platinum I don't.  I had to do a quick check to see what the Platinum singles of Sakic are selling for on COMC; it was more than I thought at $3.   That's one card closer to 800 for the Sakic PC!


Finally, what is easily my favorite card from the pack, this Netcam insert from 2013-14 Score features a fantastic photo of James Reimer trying to corral the puck in his crease during a game against the Islanders.  There's 5 players in the photo which makes it even better, and they're all identifiable.   The Leafs are easy, left to right James Van Riemsdyk (21), Phil Kessel with the beard, and #36 in the crease is Carl Gunnarson.  The Islander that is pursuing the puck is Frans Nielsen, and I'll go out on a limb and say he didn't score here....

Doug, thank you for the PWE, it was a great bunch of cards!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment