Sunday, June 3, 2018

Going through the closet: 2013 Heritage

I decided at the time I was putting this set together that I wasn't going to chase the SPs #'d 426-500.  I probably could have waited until now and started picking them up for cheap.   I checked COMC as I started writing this post and there are a lot of the SP cards available for $1.25 or less.  That kind of surprised me.

Anyhow, I decided to dig through this set and find a few cards that I thought interesting, or they brought something interesting to mind.


These two guys probably have hundreds of millions of reasons to smile.   One is a part owner of a baseball team now, and the other will be set for life (and a few other people's as well) once he's done playing.  Is it just me, or does Mike Trout look thin in this photo compared to how he looks now.


Remember the beard?   It almost looks as if the mustache and sideburns were colored in with Sharpie. 


Keeping in tune with the '64 set, the World Series had one card for each game in the series broken down.  How the mighty have fallen, remember the Kung Fu Panda being on top of the world having 4 hits in Game 1, 3 of them homers?  Back of the card stated that he was the first person to have 4 hits in a WS game since Monte Irvin in 1951. 


Good God is it already 6 years since Anthony Rizzo was a rookie?  Love, love, love the Rookie Cup version that Topps used here.  Anyone ever notice that the bat on top of the trophy appears to be a Q-Tip for Anthony's ear?


Card #200.  Hero number.  Topps got this one right on the money. 
Card #200 in the '64 set?  Sandy Koufax.   Perfect.


This is card #201, right after the Kershaw.  Probably the best dual RC card in the set.   Imagine when Manny Machado gets out of Baltimore and moves to a team that can afford him.  Maybe this card will start to rise in value from the very affordable $8 it is now.

It's hard to believe that it's already been 5 years since this set came out.  I might have to have another look at this in another 5 years to see how well players and rookies have turned out.

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment