Tuesday, December 31, 2013

This is my last post of 2013, I swear

Well, another year is over, more new sets have come and gone ( a lot of which I ignored ) and it's time for the annual "let's see how I did post".

OK, so let's see how I did on my 2013 goals.

1.  2013 will be the year of Heritage, and nothing else.  Honestly, I should have made this goal a little more clearer by saying that Heritage will be the only modern set I chase aside from the flagship.

That is what I meant at the time, and I did stick to it.  I bought very little of GQ, A&G, Archives and Chrome, and not one pack of any other Topps release (other than the flagship) in 2013. 

This is a pass for me...

2.   Serial Numbered Insanity.  This is a goal I pushed a lot on the blog this year.   I was hoping to hit 1100 cards by tonight, and to be honest I didn't fare too badly. 

I posted card # 1055 the other night, and I have enough cards for one more insanity post, so I fell 40 cards short of my goal.

Yes, it is a fail, but to be honest, I'm leaning towards a D- because a lot of you out there helped me out on this craziness, and for that I am thankful.

3.   Think outside of the box at least 5 times this year.  The goal here was to get involved in group breaks.  Also, I was challenging myself to choose teams other than the Jays when I did get involved.

This is a fail.  Plain and simple.  I participated in 2 group breaks the whole year.  I'm just not feeling it for the group breaks right now.   It is what it is...

4.  Start selling again on eBay.  If I sold 10 items on eBay this year, I'd be shocked.  This is a goal I just wound up not having enough time for.

No excuses, this is also a fail.  I do have a goal for eBay this year, that involves my pursuit of the '64 Topps set and a certain card that costs mega bucks and features a switch hitting power hitter. That will be one of my goals for 2014.

5.   Shift my focus towards vintage sets, both baseball and hockey.  As the year progressed my spending did move away from modern sets, and progressed towards older baseball and hockey releases.

This is a pass.  I succeeded in moving a larger portion of my spending over the past several months towards 60's and 70's baseball.  While I didn't purchase a great deal of hockey this year, I did start a 71-72 OPC set, and picked up a few older Maple Leafs cards that I am proud to own.

6.  Start building up my hockey collection again.  I'm on the fence with this one.  In reality my goal here was to start rebuilding the mid 80's OPC sets that I had foolishly sold off a few years back.

I think I bought a total of 70 cards for those sets.  It's a start, but in truth I failed in this goal as well.

7.  This final goal is a long shot, but I'll list it anyhow.  Some time this year, I hope to celebrate my 1000th post on the blog.

When you don't average a post a day for 7 months out of the 12, and you need 400 posts to hit 1000, chances are it's not going to happen.  This is post #927.

Fail. 

When I think about it, some of these goals were quite idiotic.   Goals should help me continue on the trading card journey that I'm taking, and not be some haphazard way to write a post.

Live and learn I guess.  I do have goals ready for 2014.  I probably will spend part of the last night of 2013 adjusting them a bit to be more "realistic". 

The one card rule is still in effect...another '62 for you


The more cards I own of the '62 set, the more I look forward to putting it all together.  I have 64 cards now, or just under 11%.  A long way to go, but this is one set that I'm really enjoying so far.

Happy New Year to all the bloggers and readers out there!!!

thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments: