Sunday, December 22, 2013

K-Mart on a Sunday: 1 pass and 1 fail

I had a little bit of money left on a K-Mart gift card, so I decided to stop in there today and pickup some coolant for the truck and a pack of cards for myself.  I wasn't in the greatest mood while standing in line, but what happened while I stood in line definitely brought me a smile, and a story worth sharing.

I didn't grab a cart, so I stood in line holding the 3 items I had while I waited.  There was a sweet older woman in front of me, probably in her late 60's, getting a couple of gingerbread houses.

The cashier was a very friendly and pleasant woman as well, and she noticed that the woman had a gift card in her wallet that expired on December 22nd.  The cashier asked if she wanted to use it, since it was expiring.  The older woman said sure. 

One swipe.  Declined.

Two swipes.  Declined.

"Are you sure you haven't used this?" said the cashier.   The lady responded that she hadn't.  The front end woman was called over.  Front end asks, "did you try typing in the number?".  The cashier replied in the negative.

One attempt to type.  Declined.

Two attempts to type.  Declined again.

"Did you get this card at this K-Mart?"  No, says the older woman, "I think I got it in Ohio".  The front end woman finally decides to look at the smaller writing on the bottom of the card.

"Ma'am, I am sorry, but this card expired on December 22, 2011".  The smile on my face went very wide...

I told my wife when I got home that I found two female versions of myself; other people actually not paying attention to fine details until it's too late....

Not that you've had a chuckle (I hope), here's the cards I pulled from the rack pack of Update that I bought...nothing special, but the best part for me is no blue parallels!!


I'm surprised that we don't see more Bo Jackson cards, when I first saw this card out of the pack I thought to myself that Bo is one guy that is under utilized when it comes to using past stars in current products.  I can't remember seeing that pose from Jackie Robinson as well, maybe Topps is listening and changing things up a bit?  All 4 cards are up for trade if anyone needs/wants them.

I've purchased 3 or 4 rack packs from K-Mart and even though it's a minor thing, the lack of colored parallels is something I can get used to.  I may have to switch my retail habits and start making purchases at the Big K instead.

My plan this week is to get the Update want list up and hopefully get closer to finishing this before '14 Topps is released.  We'll see how that goes.

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. As a Royals fan, I think we see too many Bo Jackson cards, at least in 2013. It seemed that as soon as Puigmania set in, Bo Jackson was put into every Topps and Panini product for the rest of the year. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete