Sunday, January 27, 2013

I just couldn't do it

I'm scaring myself right now writing this post.  I headed out to Wal Mart today in need of a few things, but most of all I was really jonesing to rip some wax.

Yeah, you read it right.  I needed a fix.  Guess what happened.

Guilt won out.  I got to the card aisle, and there was nothing there that I really needed.  Oh sure, if I was into football or basketball I could have gone crazy.  Sadly, I even had a pack of Crown Royale (one of my favorite designs) football in my hands ready to purchase. 

My conscience won out.  With no baseball on hand that I was collecting (the only baseball they had was 2012 Update, or a box of 2008 Heritage High Numbers, which I passed on), and hockey all of sudden dried up (not one pack to be found), I just couldn't do it.  I didn't get weak and grab a "best of 2012" box in order to cure my need to rip. 

I left it all behind.  I actually was desperate enough to purchase a binder and some pages so I could at least do a little bit of housekeeping and put another set away.  In that sense, the trip was productive.

Thank goodness there is somebody out there thinking of me.  Greg from the Night Owl blog sent me a little care package this past week, and as usual he was spot on hitting a bunch of my want lists.  But what was also inside the envelope actually reminded me today that I really didn't need to pick up any packs.


Two packs of OPC!!  These will do me for a few days anyhow.   Shall we?

Pack 1:  the "need 'ems"


Always good to get one of the big names that you need out of the pack, and Ovechkin was a welcome sight.  Tlusty and Bergenheim are just commons, but still needed for the set.

the "got 'ems"


There was a lot of rumors that Mike Komisarek was going to be one of the amnesty buyouts for the Leafs.  So far he's played reasonably well in a limited role, with a bit of snarl I might add.  Mike's card goes right into the Leafs pile, while the others hit the trade box.

Finally, we have a little Red to show ya:


I really do love the retro parallels, and the only thing that would have made this card better is if Red was in a Leafs uni.  You can't have everything I guess. 

Pack 2:  the need 'ems


It was interesting that the 2 packs worked out exactly the same.  Need 3, have 4 and then the 8th card rounded out the pack.

Scott Clemmensen spent what seemed to be an eternity in Martin Brodeur's shadow, and has finally emerged to be a solid #2 in Florida. 

Sergei Gonchar, Hall of Fame candidate?  Discuss....

Calling Eric Lindros a legend is debatable from the chair I sit in, but there is no doubt that he changed the face of the game when he stood up to the Nordiques in 1991.  Think about what the Avalanche would have been like during the mid 90's.   Sakic, Sundin, Nolan, Lindros.  Very big, and very talented. 

Oh, and if you were wondering who led the NHL in scoring during the last lockout shortened season in 94-95?  Lindros...70 pts.

The Got 'ems


There was a poll on the Puck Junk website recently (I believe) that asked whether you believe that checklists should be part of the main set.  I like them as part of the set, they were that way when I was a kid, and my feelings haven't changed about that.  By the way, if you're not reading Sal's blog, why not?

Last but not least, I pulled a rainbow parallel of Joel Ward...


OK, maybe it should be last.  I do prefer the retro parallels to the rainbows.  Beggars can't be choosers.

The rest of what was in the envelope?  Sorry, next time....

Thank you for the packs Greg, they were enjoyed very much and kept me out of trouble!!

thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, you don't want any of that football stuff.

    Glad you had fun ripping!

    ReplyDelete