Sunday, August 6, 2023

What got me started

I've been writing the blog for 12 years now (haha I missed the blog's anniversary on July 23rd), and for most of that time I had no interest in vintage football.

Sure there was always the vintage hockey interest (I grew up in Canada) and over time the vintage baseball interest came along (the '64 set build helped create that love).

A few months back I stumbled across a '70 Topps football lot on eBay, and my current obsession has become older football sets.  I've been picking up pieces and parts at shows, on eBay and via the trade route on TCDB.

Unlike the baseball and hockey vintage sets which for the most part are pricing me out of completion, I don't believe the same thing is going to happen with football.  As I work on building these sets, I might end up proving myself wrong.  But for starters, I've been having fun acquiring some of the old stuff.


This set I do like, and I've been able to put almost half of it together already.  120 out of 263 are already in house, and I have a COMC order that will put the set over the halfway point.


This set has reminded of what the vintage sets should be.  Old cards.  For the most part, especially with baseball and hockey, I'll be very picky about what I add to the sets.  Most of the cards that I acquire for 60's and 70's builds are usually EX-MT or better.  That can get pricey.

For the football stuff, especially 1972 and before, I'll accept the dinged corners, I'll see the creases that are there and accept the fact that that's how they should be.



I do stick to the hard and fast rule for my vintage, no paper loss.  Even I like to be able to read everything that is on the old card backs, which I'm loving for the football sets.  

It'll be a few weeks before I see my COMC order come in, and I'm looking forward to a pair of cards, Fran Tarkenton and Johnny Unitas '70 Topps.   Between the 2, I paid less than $10 total.  That isn't bad. 

Actually, at that price, this is fun!!

Robert 


13 comments:

  1. These are cool. I know very little about vintage football, so appreciate seeing unfamiliar designs. Congrats on 12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the anniversary. Always a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite vintage FB sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can help with lower condition 70 FB if you want to send your address to mzentko at yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Here's to another 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. '70 football is one of those sets that looks like it comes from an older time than 1970 (same with '69 football).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, looks like something from the 50's or early 60's

      Delete
  7. Congrats on 12 years of blogging! I think I've only been running my (current) blog for half as long.

    The irony of a 53 year-old card with the name "Current" is not lost on me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a lot of extra '70, '71 and '72. Hit me up at qaplagca at yahoo

    ReplyDelete