Saturday, August 12, 2023

Another slow set build....but I think it will be fun

1962 Topps football.  Certainly not one of the bigger vintage sets out there at just 176 cards.

They're all horizontal as well.


Multiple photos on the front of the card.  Jimmy Patton intercepting a pass, Roger Leclerc being described as a "LB-Kicker" on his card, which I don't think you will not find very often on any player card (certainly not in the modern era).


And these guys just look like football players.  The backs?  Easy for an older guy like me to read.


I find a lot of the newer sets a bit difficult to read, especially if I'm sorting by number (as always); the card numbers now are a lot smaller and on some sets are almost impossible to read, if not find.  Look at that number 156 in the upper left.  Can't mistake that!!

I looked at some of the card prices on COMC while writing this post and learned about Ernie Davis.  Died at 23 before ever playing a professional football game due to leukemia.  What a shame.

Hopefully I'll be able to find an affordable card of his one day.  Wait and see...

Robert

5 comments:

  1. Always liked the look of these but '60s football is not for me, I'd probably know 5 players in the set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this set's design. In fact when I was targeting Bart Starr cards, this was one I had to have. Best of luck with this set build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This set is probably gonna require a little more patience than some of your other vintage football builds.

    ReplyDelete