Saturday, August 4, 2018

Try A Pack #15: 2018 Allen & Ginter

I've been pretty good at staying away from this years products.  Not because I don't like them, but because of my effort to build a boat load of older sets.  If you haven't noticed, I have updated my want lists for baseball and hockey at the top of the blog, they should be much easier to read now.

While at Target yesterday buying a birthday card, I decided to see if there was anything worthwhile in the card aisle.  I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on cards, so I decided on a couple of packs of this year's Allen & Ginter.  I've put together three of these sets in the past, and usually have some decent luck with packs.

Assuming the SPs are the same numbers this year (301-350), I didn't fare too badly.

Pack 1




2 retired players and one RC for the 3 base cards.   Not bad so far.


SP of Dennis Eckersley.  3rd retired player out of 4 in the pack.   Interesting...


I've never been a big fan of minis, many of you who read regularly know that.  But A&G always seems to put some interesting topics on them.  This Hawaiian postage stamp was an interesting read, as I didn't know that Hawaii was a kingdom at one time.


I've never been big on going to the beach, but this might be something interesting.   I'll have to look into how many of these are in the set and see if they're worth collecting.

Pack 2


The base cards.  No duplicates yet so all is well.


2 packs, 2 SPs.  Just 48 more packs to get all 50 (like I'm that lucky...).


Mini A&G back of Bradley Zimmer.  Didn't need to show the front, because if you look 2 scans up you'll see Zimmer plain as day.  This is available for trade if anyone wants it.


Another interesting insert.   I'm not big on inserts either, but seeing classic pictures like this old catcher's mitt might be worth a look.

If there is any set from 2018 that I might put together, it's this one.  I don't know how much more I will buy pack wise as it tends to get swallowed up quickly down here in the swamp.  Plus, the amount of luck I've had finding bargains and snapping up cards off of my current want lists has been really good, so my focus on those is likely to continue for the near future.

I do like what I see so far, the design is nice in my opinion; I'll have to look at the checklist to see if there are any non-sports personalities in the set that interest me.  I'll be sure to let everyone know if I decide to build it so a trade or 3 might happen.

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment