Sunday, August 12, 2018

Monthly card show spoils: 7 for 30

The last few times that I've hit the monthly card show I've gone for quantity.  Trying to come home with as many cards as I could for as cheap as possible.   That attitude has knocked off quite a few cards off of the want list recently.

Yesterday's show was going to be the same.  Hit some dime or quarter boxes and try and knock off some more cards.  A funny thing happened though.

There weren't any dime or quarter boxes.   That is rare for this show.  So I decided to go and hit up my vintage dealer to see if he had any 59's for me.   I got to his table and couldn't hit the 59 Topps box. 

Turns out I didn't need to, as he has another box that contained miscellaneous 70's and 80's goodies.  I only wound up buying 7 cards, but they featured some great players at great prices.


Both the '74 and '76 Topps set builds are at a point where I'm starting to get into the star card purchases.  I haven't looked in great detail at how many commons I still have to pick up, however I know that both want lists are below 200 cards and thus buying cards such as these will be a necessity.

The Yaz was $6 and the Carew was $2.   Not bad.


Both of these were $1, again not a bad buy in my opinion.   The 1980 want list is getting low, just 52 cards to go (including the Henderson RC).  The Seaver was one of the "hero numbers" that I still needed (#500).  The '81 Topps Stolen Base leaders card didn't make as big a dent into that want list as the Seaver did, as I still need over 400 cards to complete that set.  I might try and find a large/cheap lot of cards in the next couple of months to knock that list down some.

I mentioned last Sunday  that I had pulled in a nice lot of 1985 Topps cards for cheap.  In that post I also talked about needing 6 rookie cards that were listed in the Beckett price guide.   Yesterday I grabbed the 2 biggest names off of that list, plus another star player...


Purchased these three cards for $20.  Can't beat that if you ask me.

I walked into that show with a 400 count box to take a whole bunch of cards home.   That was the plan.  In the end, you can see it wasn't needed.  Not a bad haul for one week's worth of spending money.

Thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted that 85 McGwire. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards! The 1985 Topps McGwire has been on my want list for a long time. I picked up an 85 Topps set a while back minus the Olympic cards. Someday soon I will get the McGwire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that '74 Yaz & '76 Carew haul for $8 total....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that 1981 Stolen Base Leaders card. I recently listened to an entertaining podcast featuring Ron LeFlore. It inspired me to run out and grab his autograph on COMC. If you're ever bored and have some free time:

    https://radiopublic.com/the-eephus-a-baseball-history-p-WPRX45/ep/s1!3a567

    ReplyDelete