Sunday, September 28, 2014

By the page: Roberto Alomar

Today is the final day of the regular season (scheduled anyhow), and I thought that I would do a page of one of the greatest Blue Jays, Roberto Alomar.

Robbie is going to be one of those players that will end up with multiple pages over time; playing for the Jays in the early 90's will do that for a lot of players.

With a lot to choose from, I decided on these 9 cards to start off the Alomar pages...

Top row:  Bunting


Alomar is probably the one Jays player that I could put an entire page of bunting photos together.  Robbie was a very skilled bunter and it shows, the Donruss card on the left shows him using the drag bunt for a base hit, while the Collectors Choice card in the middle appears to have captured Robbie in the middle of a sacrifice.

Middle row:  Shots you don't see every day.


Close up shots like the '93 Upper Deck #125 on the left are great.  Safe or out?  Hard to tell.  I don't have a lot of batting cage cards in my collection, but the '94 UD #455 in the center is a favorite of mine.  Not sure if the white portion on the sweet spot of the bat is tape, or if the bat is just sanded down....

The '94 SP #ER1 on the far right sent me off to check on baseball reference to see if Alomar had ever pitched in a ball game (he didn't).  It looked like a pitching pose to me, so I thought it kind of fit in this group of 3.

Bottom row:  Nothing but the blues


I've said it before and I'll say it again.   The Blue Jays dark blue jerseys are my favorite.  So much so that the Jays jersey that I own is of the dark blue variety (13  Lawrie, just in case you're wondering who is on the back). 


Not a bad effort for the first Alomar page.  I'll certainly have plenty of opportunities to create better pages for Mr. Alomar.   That brings the total # of cards out of the box to 220.   I'm going to have to start churning out a bunch of pages here very soon, due to the great number of cards that came in recently from my fellow Blue Jays bloggers.

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: