Monday, August 18, 2014

By the page: 2012 Gypsy Queen

2012 Gypsy Queen was the first of the Topps old time releases that I dove into upon starting this blog.  It wasn't as popular as the inaugural release the previous year, but I still enjoyed collecting it.

The past couple of years I've stayed away from GQ, mainly because of my desire to cut down on the modern releases that I wanted to build.

I did manage to dig 9 cards from the 2012 release out of the Blue Jays box, which provides another page to show off.

Top row:  Pitchers 


A lot of promise in this row.  Sergio Santos is the only one that is still pitching this year, and right now he's doing that in AAA Buffalo.  Morrow's days in Toronto are likely numbered, his inability to stay healthy will probably lead to the Jays not to pick up his 2015 option.  Ricky Romero had surgery on his knees in June, ending his 2014 season.  The stats down in AAA Buffalo didn't look good there, he does have one year left on a 5 year $30 million deal.  Hopefully he can regain the form he had between 2009-2011.

Middle row:  Joey Bats and Colby


I don't have the Jose Bautista SP version that shows him hitting, so I replaced it with the Moonshots insert.  I love the wine (?) colored border, so for me it was an easy choice as a replacement.  Rasmus is another player I could see the Jays letting go in the off season.  Anthony Gose is a suitable replacement in center in my opinion.

Bottom row:  Out of town


Upon seeing Arencibia and Escobar's cards, I wondered if there was a 3rd player that I could slot in with those two.  Thames was traded to Seattle for Steve Delabar back in 2012.  I wondered where he's been, because I haven't heard his name the past couple of seasons.   A little digging and I found out that he's playing for the NC Dinos in the Korean Baseball league. 

Put them all together, and you have this:


Not a bad looking page, the greyish green borders kind of get monotonous.  The Bautista Moonshots card in the center actually makes the page look a bit colorful.

I'm up to 112 cards out of the box, into pages, and displayed on the blog.  I actually have quite a stack on my desk that are ready for pages, so I'll probably be mixing  more of these posts in during the near future.

Try to keep the groaning to a minimum....please!

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. I would be surprised if the Jays keep Rasmus. Seems like a guy who will get more money than he deserves on the open market.

    ReplyDelete