Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Minis: A growing problem

The stack of undocumented Blue Jays cards on my desk has stayed relatively small lately, even with large additions from around America.  I still tend to think of minis as a recent phenomenon, but the evidence on my desk is overwhelming; they've been around for a while, and don't seem to be going away any time soon.

One advantage is you can fit more of them on the width of your scanner.   Case in point..


The George Bell on the far left is actually a '90 Panini sticker.  Next to him is a '88 Topps sticker, which actually has two stickers on the back featuring Zane Smith of the Braves and Ellis Burks of the Red Sox.  The Fred McGriff in the 3rd spot is also a Topps sticker, from 1990, and features Jay Howell of the Dodgers on the back.  Finally, the Tony Fernandez on the right is a '87 Topps mini leaders card.  And I thought the sets of today were a challenge to keep up with all the crazy variations...


Even better, tobacco size minis fit five across the scanner with no problem.  I never knew that Private Stock back in 1999 had minis.  There's Jose Cruz Jr. right in the center of it all.  The difference in the 2 Brendan Morrow cards?  One is a regular back, and the other is a A&G ad back.  Aaron Hill, who I wish was still in a Jays uniform, is a black bordered mini from that same set (2011).  Even Topps' T206 release had minis, as evidenced by the Travis Snider on the left.

At least these minis I can handle.  The '72 and '87 Topps minis that have been released over the past couple of years are big enough that I don't worry about mangling them each time I pick them up.  The Cracker Jack minis from 2005 were something I'd forgotten about until I received the Aaron Hill card.  The Bowman chrome minis to me are an unnecessary edition to a set that already has a plethora of variations as it is.


Let's not forget the Kimball Champions minis that Topps put out in 2011, the annual tobacco sized Gypsy Queen releases, and the play ball replicas from back in 2010. 

And these are just some of the minis that I haven't gone through yet.  In the box there's probably 40-50 other minis that need to find their way into pages.  The scary part is I've probably only scratched the surface of what I need as far as minis go.

Until I can locate some mini/tobacco card pages, this "problem" will only continue to grow. 

What a shame huh?

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. I have a box of 15 pocket tobacco mini pages if you just need a few sheets. Email at QAPLAGCA at yahoo

    ReplyDelete