Thursday, April 22, 2021

Inspired

Most of you who read this blog also (or likely preferably) read the Night Owl Cards blog.  Greg recently celebrated the completion of one of the great baseball sets of the 1950's, 1956 Topps.  

I know Greg worked on the set for quite a long time and his '56 of the Month posts were something I enjoyed many times.  When I saw that he had finished the set, I thought that I could start working towards a vintage set that I really enjoy.

1971-72 OPC hockey is a set that I've been working on for 3 or 4 years now, off and on.  I love the look of the set and the 264 card size is something that makes it a lot more bearable to build than baseball sets from that era.

Last weekend I decided to get to work.  7 cards were purchased off of ebay from another of the larger sellers on the site and they arrived today.


One thing that I have noticed about the uptick in card prices is I'm no longer finding cards from this set anywhere for under a dollar.  A lot of the sellers who have cards from this set are charging $1.50 and up, these 3 above cost me $2 apiece.  To be fair, the McKenny and Widing cards are their RC's so it's not surprising that they cost a little more.  


These 4 were either $2.50 or $3 apiece, but starting to knock off more cards from Original 6 clubs is going to be a little more pricey.  One card that hits home for me is the Fonteyne; I love the old school powder blue Penguins jersey (I own one myself) and I will always say that the skating Penguin logo is the best, even better if its the older one where the Penguin is wearing the scarf.

Still a fair way to go in this set build, 104 cards left out of the 264 card set.  Looking at it though, the 3 big names, LaFleur, Dionne and Dryden will combined cost me about what the Night Owl spent on his '56 Mantle.  

I've got a lot of sets on the go right now, but this one is moving up the list...

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

7 comments:

  1. Very happy to inspire a fellow collector! Especially when it's such a great-looking vintage set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd thought that hockey card prices hadn't spike like the other sports. Guess I was wrong.

    Nice to see you're still working on this excellent set. Can't wait to see more of your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great looking set, I can't wait to see you complete this one! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ambitious goal! I've got a few 1971-72 Topps cards available, but no OPCs. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't watching hockey back when this set was released. Heck... I wasn't even alive. But I love it. The bubble letters, colorful backgrounds, and overall design is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this set build.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't collect hockey, but this is my favorite of the sport's vintage sets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the set build! Looking forward to eventually seeing the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete