Sunday, September 23, 2018

The attack on my want lists continues

My good fortune in getting cards knocked off of my want list lately continues.   I received another envelope yesterday from a TCDB trade partner, this time it was Bill (User ID: minibbcards) who sent me a great deal of vintage goodness.

I sent Bill quite a few minis from various years of A&G, and as many of you may know, I'm more than happy to move them along to someone who will enjoy them more than I would.  In return, this bounty came my way.



My love for the '69 set keeps growing, as these 13 beauties were part of the envelope.  This really isn't a focus item for me right now (focus isn't one of my strongest traits anyhow), but seeing any cards from this set always brings a smile to my face.   These 13 cards bring to 148 in hand, just over 22% done. 

Anytime I see a Denver Lemaster card, I always think of Forrest Gump's line "There's Denver, he's from Phoenix".  I don't know why, but I get a chuckle every time I hear or think of that line.


Another set that isn't high on the priority list is the '71 Topps set.  But putting that want list up on the TCDB site this past week landed me these 8 cards.  Outside of the Woody Fryman crease, these cards are in really nice shape, which I'm sure will be tough to replicate as time goes on.  I'm thinking that we'll be well into the 2020 decade before I finish this set.  

I'm up to 67 cards in my '71 set, just under 8% complete.   Still lots of time to get this done.




A couple of thoughts came to mind when going through the 20 '72 Topps cards above. 

  • I seem to be running into a lot of Tommy John cards lately.  Not sure why, I just am.
  • Steve Stone I remember from his days in Chicago.   Had no idea that he went as far back as '72, and that he was a Giant.
  • When I see guys like Joe Pepitone and Claude Osteen, I think back to my '64 build.  Osteen goes as far back as '59 I discovered while writing this.  I really don't think about this much while building sets, but it's cool to see the time line of some guys like Claude Osteen through cards over the years.   Another guy that I think of when I think about timelines is Reggie Jackson; he had a lot of great cards over the years, and there were a lot of years as well to reminisce about.
20 cards off the want list means I now have 100 in hand, but that means that the set is barely 1/8th complete.  Another set that I don't expect to finish until well into the 2020 decade.   It's all a marathon and not a sprint, right?

Thank you for the cards Bill, they are appreciated.  Looking forward to our next trade!

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. I've traded with Bill a couple times. Great and thorough trader and I'm certainly happy to dump minis on those that want them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hear that about the minis. This was my first trade with Bill and I'm sure that I have a bunch more minis to list before too long...

      Delete
  2. I can show you all of Osteens cards plus some oddballs. He's a PC.

    I'm pretty sure I've got some '70s thru '72s to contribute if I haven't tried already.

    ReplyDelete