Saturday, December 16, 2017

Try A Pack #11: 2017-18 Upper Deck Hockey

Upper Deck hockey is one product that I regret not staying up with over the years.  Yes, I've bought a lot of packs here and there, but aside from the first 3 or 4 sets back in the early 90's, I've never bothered putting together the complete run of sets.  Maybe once I get my run of vintage baseball sets completed (more on this in the new year) I'll come back around to putting these sets together.

But for now, I'm down to buying a few packs once in a while to satisfy my thirst for some hockey cardboard. 

I bought 3 packs of 8 and 1 jumbo pack of 32.  Let's go easy and give you one of the 8 card packs.


As usual, the photography is top notch.  I'm pretty sure that the Patrik Berglund card was shot at the outdoor game last season against the Blackhawks.  Rasmus Ristolainen is the workhorse of the Sabres blueline, recently playing two games in which he appeared in over 31 minutes in one and 29 minutes the next.  Incredible. 

The design is nice.  The team logo is in silver foil, not my preference but it's fine. 


I love how Upper deck manages to get shots during all kinds of situations.  David Savard appears to be having a bit of fun during pre-game warm ups.


Fantastic shot of Jaden Schwartz getting ready to take a face off.  His concentration on the puck is in clear focus in this photo.



Check out the bald guy in the background of Adam Lowry's card.  He's quite focused on the play.  This was by accident, but on both of these cards there's a puck below the line where the player's name appears.  I didn't notice this until I scanned them and was looking on screen at both the cards.


Finishing up the pack, accidental coincidence here, with a couple of Broadway Blueshirts.  Again, the great photography is evident on Nick Holden's card as you see some game action against the Ottawa Senators. 

One thing I liked about the pack?  No inserts or parallels to be found!  Out of the 3 8-card packs, I only pulled one shining stars insert, and the jumbo 32 card pack had one UD Portrait card of PK Subban.  Sadly I didn't get any of the coveted Young Guns short prints, but that's usually the norm unless I buy a box.

One day I will get back into building these sets...but not just yet.

Thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. I think a large number of the cards you showed were cards I need for my set. If they're for trade I'd love a shot at them.

    Also nice Rangers ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a want list, I might have some as well.

      Delete
  2. Let me know when you start to pick up the Upper Deck hockey sets, willing to help ya out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Th Rangers and Leafs cards stuck out in this set, which is just fantastic. I love opening up S1 every year and it's become my most anticipated set each year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only Leaf I've pulled so far is Marner, whose photo makes him look like he should still be in junior...

      Delete
  4. Upper Deck always seems to have great photography. Those were some good cards!

    ReplyDelete