Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cross 5 more off the want list

The one good thing about finally getting the want list up?  Being able to remove cards from the list.  I figured for tonight's post, I'd go through the remaining piles of Jays cards on my desk, find 5 that I was able to cross off the list, and show them off.

Nothing fancy here.


It wasn't that long ago that J.P. Arencibia was the next big thing behind the plate for the Blue Jays.  J.P. can't say that he didn't get a chance in Toronto, he was the #1 catcher for the past 3 seasons.  Even though the power was there, a .212 career average wasn't what the Jays were looking for out of their #1 backstop.  So they brought Dioner Navarro in.   I have a feeling that J.P. will do well in Texas...


With all the diamond parallels that came through my house in 2011, I was surprised that I didn't have this card.  Fingers crossed that he can stay healthy this year and join Edwin Encarnacion in the 40 homer club.


I'd forgotten about Jesse Litsch until I saw this card.  It turns out that he had some serious health issues and didn't pitch at all in 2012.  Jesse chose free agency over a AAA assignment to the Buffalo Bisons, and hasn't signed with a club since.  It looks as if he's trying to make a comeback though.  His twitter feed @JesseLitsch shows some pics of his new "arm slot". 

I remember buying what seemed to be a million of these cards, 1992 Donruss.  I guess there wasn't as many as I thought.  Tom was a rental for the '91 Blue Jays and pitched fairly well, going 6-7 with a 2.98 ERA.  He didn't fare as well during the postseason; his 2 starts were not great, with an ERA over 8.  The Jays lost to the eventual WS champion Minnesota in 5 games.


Another card that I was surprised to find I didn't have as part of the Jays collection.  I was always under the impression that Gruber was a Blue Jays draft pick, but I found out that he was actually a rule 5 draftee from the Cleveland Indians.  Kelly spent the entire 1984 season with the Jays, basically taking up a roster spot by playing only 15 games with the Jays.  It would be another two years before Gruber earned some regular playing time in Toronto.

There's a chance that I may be able to find enough time this weekend to get all the remaining Jays cards sorted through.  That would mean I would only have to update the want list with the 2013/2014 needs.

So you're saying there's a chance.....

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment