Friday, July 19, 2013

Beat up vintage is still cool

It's history folks, plain and simple.  What's funny for me is, in high school, I hated  history.  With the white hot passion of a 1000 suns.

There were only two reasons I took a history course in college.  One, I required a humanities credit.  Two, there was a tremendous looking brunette in the class.  Of course, I wound up with a D because it was hard to focus, if you get my drift.

But I digress....

Cards like this that I picked up at last years November Expo in Toronto for $5 remind me of why beat up cards from the past are great.



Pants pocket?  Someone sat on it?  Who knows.  It's the RC of a Hall of Fame center that I got on the cheap.

Sometimes, someone sends you a card that reminds you that even older beat up cards are cool as well.

No, he didn't sing for the Doors

It appears that somebody taped this baby to a page.  Still, it's great to me.

How about a nicely folded '57 Topps baseball card as an example?


It's amazing how we tolerate a beat up card like this because it's approaching 60 years of age, but if someone approached you with a rookie card from the last decade that had a slight imperfection, the look of disdain would be quite evident.

Beat up vintage is cool, because we don't expect as much from older cards as we do the newer ones that come out.  The days of storing cards in shoe boxes wrapped in giant rubber bands are gone.

Sometimes, I wish the rubber bands would come back.  At least these piles on my desk would have less of a chance of falling if they were wrapped in rubber.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. The more "beat up" the card... the more "character" it has.

    ReplyDelete