Monday, May 20, 2013

BBB

I'm sure that at least one or two of you have seen those initials in the past.  In the past, I had several ways that I could interpret the acronym "BBB"

Better Business Bureau--probably the most commonly known usage of the 3 B's

Bed Bath and Beyond--not until I started working in the transportation industry was I aware that BBB could have stood for the housewares giant.  Every December, I end up seeing these initials in nightmares...nuff said.

There are others that involve portions of the female anatomy. I'll just let your imagination do the rest of the work.

During the last couple of weeks, BBB has kind of taken on a new meaning here for me.

Bored Bowman Buying.

Yep, I've been kind of bored, and when perusing the card aisle at Wal-Mart, I've ended up with packs/blasters of Bowman in my cart.  For some reason, they've piqued my curiosity this year more than in years past. 

I've noticed a couple of different things in the packs I've opened so far that I thought I would share.  First, I am certainly behind in the alternate jersey department, because I can't say that I've ever seen the Reds wear the uniforms shown on the Shin-Soo Choo card below...


Spring training duds? 

Another interesting aspect of the Bowman cards was something I didn't notice until P-Town Tom commented on the Yovani Gallardo post from last week.  In case you need a refresher, see here..  The logos for the current major league players all appear at the bottom of the picture (some of them in spots that are, well unflattering to say the least), while the prospects cards don't have the team logo at all.

I like how this Silver Ice card scanned

Licensing issue for prospects?  Seems weird, because team logos appear on the uniform that they wear, but not on the bottom of the card similar to the major league players.  Would love to know why that is...

Another thing I've noticed is that there hasn't been a whole lot written about the cards.  I've seen a smattering of posts here and there, but the malaise in general is interesting. 

I guess everyone is waiting for A&G?  Sure looks that way to me....

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. Yeah those are spring training unis. The giveaway is the stripe under the arm. I think every team's spring training uniform has a stripe under the arm like that. I know most of them do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astros are rocking uniforms, regular season, with a stripe - but I believe they're the only ones.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. I bought two of the value packs. I'll post them soon. Maybe a pack war?

    ReplyDelete