Thursday, February 22, 2018

A little nervous

I've had these stacks of cards on my desk for a couple of weeks now and my posting schedule  (which has been lax lately) has gotten me nervous.  The taller stacks of 84 and 85 Topps are especially making me nervous, because I've vowed to show a bunch of cards on the blog and not just put them away to be forgotten.

So, in order to reduce the piles, we need to show some more cards.   1985 Topps is the choice tonight; knocking 50 more cards off of that want list will put that set at more than 25% complete.


Yogi looking trim in the pinstripes.  You hear all the names over the years; Mantle, DiMaggio, Ruth, Gehrig and Berra is right up there with all the legendary names when you think of the Yankees.  Is there anyone in the past 40 years outside of Derek Jeter that would be considered a legendary Yankee player?   Would love to hear thoughts on that...


The father and son cards in my opinion are a great idea.  I almost put the fathers in chronological order by accident, just reverse the Bell and Boone cards and I would have been all set.  Love the square haircut on Francona, that just screams the 50's and early 60's. 


A deep group of outfielders in this scan.  Was there ever any kind of look that George Foster had that didn't scream "don't mess with me".   Is there a centerfielder among these 6?  I wasn't sure about Ruppert Jones so I had to look up his stats on baseball reference, and it turns out he played CF for several years in Seattle, NY and San Diego.


This group of infielders would probably be better known for their bats and not their defense.  1985 would be the last full season in the bigs for Al Oliver, but he wouldn't see any time in Philly as he played for both the Dodgers and the Jays that year.  I always thought that Doug DeCinces was more of a big time power hitter, but he managed 237 homers during his career of 15 seasons.  Tom Herr would have a career year in 1985, finishing 5th in MVP voting and driving in 110 runs while hitting only 8 homers.  That St. Louis team was fast, Herr's 31 steals was tied for 4th on the team. 

I spoke too soon about Reynolds, upon looking at his stats he was more of a defensive stalwart, playing multiple positions while playing just over a decade in Houston.


Kudos to you if you can remember Lance Parrish finishing his career playing 70 games for Toronto in 1995.  Kudos to you if you remember Steve Yeager finishing his career playing 50 games for Seattle in 1986.  I'll always remember these 2 guys in the uniforms you see them in here.


Not a whole lot of star power among the half dozen pitchers you see here, but there are a few names that those of you who followed baseball in the 80's will recognize.  Honestly, just seeing all the classic uniforms (even the spring training duds on Al Holland) is just cool. 

Yea, I can see why the Night Owl devoted a whole blog to these cards....

thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. 1985 Topps is one of my favorite designs from the 80s. Such an under-appreciated set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look how much Aaron Boone looks like Bob Boone in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Father-Son subset. Learned some baseball history back in the day from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oil Can! Not a star but a fan favorite in Boston. That father/son Francona card is a classic. I didn't know Vern and Vance Law were related, but I probably should have.

    ReplyDelete