Sunday, February 25, 2018

It's not all about the 80's

Last week I got the bug to start picking away at my '59 Topps want list while surfing on ebay.  One of my favorite sellers there is The Battersbox; they have a great selection of vintage cards, and I've always found their prices reasonable.

I decided to try and find a few cards that would add up in price to what a regular blaster box would cost, around $21 (with tax).  By the time I picked up 9 cards, I had spent just under $23 and picked up a couple of higher numbered needs that made the transaction great for me.

I'm starting to run a bit low on lower #'d commons, so this purchase I decided to focus on higher numbered cards (300 and up).  Nabbed 6 of them for just over $10


All of them are in really nice shape, the color is good on the front, the backs look good, and I just realized that I should have got a better deal because three of the players in this group are named Bob.  Volume discounts...right?


I saw this Harvey Haddix card, yes it's off center but for just $2.55 I thought it was a worthwhile pickup.  The black background has always been one of my favorites in this set, plus adding a famous pitcher for cheap was worth it for me.


The All Star cards (Mays, Mantle, etc.) are what is going to destroy my budget in the long run.  How I approach buying those cards will be similar to how I went about buying the high numbers in the '64 set.  Patient, slow, looking for the best deal that I can find.    The Gus Triandos card you see here was just under $4, and it has a crease in the top left corner.   Still good enough for me to get one of those high numbers off the board.


As I'm going through dozens upon dozens of pages of auctions that the Battersbox has on ebay, I decided to jump up a bit in price and try and find something in the $5-$6 range that I thought was a bargain.  The Duke of Flatbush's baseball thrills card jumped out after a minute or two of searching.  For $5.53, this is a splendid card to add to the '59 set build.

The 9 cards that I picked up reduced my want list to just below 200 cards, another milestone for me.  I have a bunch due in from COMC that should take me to almost 400 cards in hand.  There's still a lot of big names left, but I've got lots of time to finish this one up.

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. '59 Topps is a nice set, and I've found some nice commons in above average shape on COMC. I can't wait to see what you have incoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a great order! I too have bought from The Battersbox, and have always been pleased with their prices and service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the black borders are my favorites in the '59 set. Either those or the pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. 400? You can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. My principal and I were talking about baseball cards right before my President's Week break and he was telling me about the sets he built as a kid. This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete