Monday, January 15, 2018

Some postal woe, and a little bit from the show

I've been blogging for almost 6.5 years now, and have shipped cards for a couple of years more on top of that.  I've never really had much to grouse about when it comes to the post office and the service that they've provided me over the years.

Until now.

I work in the package delivery business, and have been doing so for almost 19 years.  I've seen what happens to packages at times.  I know that they get lost, or barcodes rip/tear/get destroyed.   Believe me, I get it.   But seeing what I've seen with a package I'm expecting is just a little crazy.

My package leaves Philadelphia, PA, and gets to West Palm Beach, FL (about 1130 miles) in 22 hours.  Not bad at all.  The West Palm Beach postal sorting plant is about 50 miles from my house, but is not my local plant. 

The package then goes from West Palm to Opa Locka, FL.  A little over 60 miles, the journey takes 2 hours, which is not bad since the scans show the package moving during the morning rush on the 11th.  That's Thursday.

The package doesn't move for 4 days.  Nothing.   Opa Locka is 30 miles from my house.  I get notice today that the package is now in transit again.  On a federal holiday.   I can't wait to see what kind of scan happens tomorrow....

OK...rant over.  On to some card show goodness.

I went el cheapo again this month.  Only spent $20.   At one table.   I dug through several quarter boxes and made a dent into some want lists.


These were the only 3 60's cards left in the boxes.  Thankfully, I needed them all and at a quarter apiece, I was pleased at the condition.

A trio of catchers, love the big catchers mitts!


I'm making this a quick post for tonight and finishing up with 7 cards from the '70 Topps set, which is a set that I never started out intending to build, but as I've gone along I've found some good deals at shows on singles (such as these at a quarter apiece).  So much so that I now have over 200 cards towards the set.  Not bad for never planning to put the set together...

Tomorrow I'll finish up the show post with some cards from 72, 74, 78 and 79 Topps.   Maybe I'll even have an update on the travels of my package.

For all I know it could be headed to Cuba....

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I've had a couple packages take odd postal vacations like the one you described over the years. I also had a package show up once with tire marks all over the back (though the cards inside were fine, oddly enough). Looking forward to seeing more of what the card show had in store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a couple of posts in the past that describe what you're talking about. Some of the journeys are down right perplexing. I hope your cards arrive safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that is some odd activity. Count your blessings, though, the German postal system is downright awful. In the ~6 months we've lived here, 3 packages never even arrived and are lost, despite a tracking number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good ole postal service - giving you good mileage for your postal dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your package arrives safely. It's good to let it out every now and then. Much better than holding it in and letting it fester.

    ReplyDelete