Sunday, January 14, 2018

Knocking down the want list a bit

In my quest during the first 90 days of the year to stay away from new product, my goal is to try and win some lots on ebay to put a dent in the larger want lists from the early 80's that I now possess.

I found a couple of 100 card lots from a seller who combined shipping (getting 200 cards shipped for $3.99 these days is good), and I had some fun going through a bunch of cards from the '81 and '85 Topps sets.


Gary Woods had been traded to the Astros by the Jays in December of '78, and had played in 19 games for Houston in 1980, but it appears that Topps still needed to airbrush a helmet onto his head. 


I would not be upset in the least to see the Padres bring back the yellow and brown uniforms that they wore back then.   I had forgotten about the 'locked' SD version of the yellow jersey, but no matter.  They still look great, bring them back San Diego!


The photo might be blurry, but you get the idea.  "Who needs a hat to pitch?" says John Pacella of the Mets. 


Seeing this Glenn Borgmann card made me wonder about the uniforms with the collar that the White Sox sported.  I had thought that they had already made the move to these....


by the time that the '81 season had rolled around.  While the black and white uniforms had that quaint old school feel, I preferred the brighter and more colorful version that Julio Cruz is sporting here on his '85 Topps card.


I had forgotten that the '85 Topps set contained the US Olympic Baseball team members.  It was a surprise to see a half dozen of them in the lot.  The only one of these 6 that I remember is Scott Bankhead, who had a 10 year big league career with 5 teams.  Of course seeing these sent me the reminder that I will eventually have to look for the Mark McGwire USA baseball card, and hopefully not pay too much for it.

I did fairly well with the lots overall, with a little over 20 doubles from the 200 cards.  Not a big deal, as I can use them for traders later on. 

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I remember how Chris Sale felt about those White Sox throwback uniforms haha.

    Be careful when you look to add the ‘85 USA McGwire to your collection. There are a ton of fakes circulating around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted, thank you! I just send a friend request to you on TCDB as well...

      Delete
  2. I have a PSA 7 version up on eBay of the '85 McGwire card for $9.95 + $3 shipping. Let me know if you are interested, thanks!

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/122895237048

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually opened a few packs of 1981 Topps and 1985 Topps a few years ago. I'll try to dig them out and see if I can help cross of some more numbers on your list.

    ReplyDelete