Wednesday, January 3, 2018

90 days to a slimmer, trimmer want list

2016 Ginter is done!! 
You see all the ads on TV for weight loss.  Almost everyday there's something stating "lose weight with such and such product".

It gets monotonous.  "30 days to a slimmer, trimmer waist line."  Leave me alone and let me get back to my program!!

Recently, I saw a couple of fellow bloggers/twitterers (is that the term for someone who uses twitter?) display their disdain for newer products.  It got me to thinking...

"Do I really need to be starting any new sets when I have a boatload of sets from the past that I want to finish?"

Of course, the answer is no.   But to emphasize my point, I went through all my want lists and decided to add up the number of cards that I have on said want lists just to see how big the number is.

The number??

12,172

Wow, that's an eye opener to say the least.  Twelve thousand, one hundred and seventy two.  Try writing that on a check once or twice (for those of you younger readers, checks are what we used to pay for cards on ebay before PayPal came along).

It's tough to fathom really needing that many cards, isn't it?  Yet, with all the sets I have on my want lists, that's what the total is.  So, like any person that needs to trim a few pounds off their frame, I have decided to try and trim a few cards off of the want list. 

How do I do this you ask?  Go on a diet.   A pack diet.

2 copies, one for set and one for PC.  36 cents.  Thank you Sportlots!


That's one of my overdue resolutions this year, which I'm about to present now:

1.  90 days without buying one new product, or one pack of cards.  What I like about the first 3 months of the year (in non-leap years) is that there is a total of 90 days.  Very easy to remember.  Therefore, until March 31st, I will try to buy no new packs of cards.  Anything I buy has to knock cards off of my want list, or someone else's want list. I started this on January 1st, so by the end of March the goal is to have knocked the want list down by going cold turkey.  I'm sure I'll have the shakes by Valentine's Day.

2.  Clean up the Blue Jays/Maple Leafs collection for good.  I've got the Jays started, which will be the bigger project of the two.  Need to get the bulk of the collection sorted by year for easier entry into the Trading Card Database.  Once I get that done, it's only a matter of time.  The only date I'll set for myself is having it done by the 31st of December at 1159 PM. 

3.  Keep the PC blog rolling.  For those of you who do read my Player PC's blog, don't laugh, but I love doing it.  Yes, it's pretty easy when you think about it, writing 3 or 4 bullet points about a card and the player associated with it.  But, it's done a couple of things for me over the past 2 years.
A)  I've really enjoyed adding cards to my original PCs (Sakic and Thome) and B) I'm actually looking at the cards I've bought in the past, not leaving them sitting collecting dust in binders.

My goal is 400 posts on the PC blog this year.  I've come close each of the first two years.

4.  Five and dime contest.  I plan on running a contest during the 1st quarter of 2018, and I promise I will not punish you by making you write posts consisting of less than 100 words (although some of you did quite well with that!!).  I'll probably shoot for February once I get some credit card debt paid off and have a little bit more $$ to spend on your want lists, so be ready to do some hunting...

5.  The National.  It's in Cleveland this year, and I'm itching to go.  So much so that I thought about booking my vacation today at work.  Sadly, August is in our next fiscal year, so I can't do it yet.  But I plan to be there.  I would really enjoy meeting a blogger or two there as well.  I've not met any of you yet, but would love to do so.  More to come on this as it gets closer.

That's it, only 5 resolutions this year instead of my normal 7.  Less pressure....

Thanks for reading, and have a fabulous 2018!  Robert

11 comments:

  1. I will not be able to not buy any new packs in the first 3 months since the first cards of the year will arrive in the first 3 months. But I do plan to buy even fewer new cards than in past years and I already decreased my total in 2016 and 2017.

    That National is getting here fast isn't it? I have to do some thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to a National since the last one in Cleveland...2014 I believe. I miss it...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan, although 400 posts on any kind of blog seems pretty crazy!

    I'm actually sort of thinking about trying to go to The National as well, eight hours in a car, one-way, seems like an awfully long trip though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The National for me Jon will be an approx 20 hr drive. I'd love to have your 8 hrs. instead :)

      Delete
  3. Never thought about sitting down and calculating how many cards are on my wantlists... but I'm guessing it's nowhere near five figures. Then again... I don't list my player pc wantlists. I just collect them as I get them.

    Best of luck on cleaning up those collections. Although it's not one of my personal goals... I'll go out on a limb and say that I probably won't buy any new products or packs of cards between now and 3/30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That number doesn't include the PC player wants. that number is all set related.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Even more impressive.

      Delete
  4. I love that 90 day challenge idea, good luck!

    ReplyDelete