Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chunks

I hit the monthly card show today, and after going almost two weeks without purchases anywhere in the online world, I had a bit of extra money to play with.

Well, after a couple of hours and $68 later, I brought home my goodies and was surprised at the amount of cards that I had.  It wasn't the massive pile that I had brought home from previous shows.

I then realized that I'm at the point in some of the sets that I'm building that the cards are going to get more expensive.  Gone are the 15, 20 and 25 cent commons, and we're on to the mid level star cards, high numbered short prints, record breaker cards, etc.  What these cards are going to take out of my wallet can be described as....

Chunks.

Necessities of course in the world of set completion, but yet they take a slightly bigger chunk out of the budget.

Nonetheless, I did pickup quite a few of these chunks today, which after sitting down and looking them over, pleased me because they are solid pieces for the sets that I'm working on.

One of the chunks was my buy of the day....$18, but for my '64 Topps set, a very nice piece indeed.

Card #260, Frank Robinson:


One of the best examples of this card I've seen so far, and I happily picked it up very quickly at that price. 

The one thing I get a kick out of in Robinson's photo is that a man with 586 career HR's is choking up on his bat.   I don't know if you'd call that a standard power hitters pose.

As I said, this was the biggest chunk from the show;  there are a lot of smaller chunks that I brought home today as well, which I will start showing off tomorrow for you.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: