Friday, April 19, 2013

Craving some pack ripping

In addition to the singles you saw last night on the blog, the weekly budget was also spent on a couple rack packs of 2013 Topps.  The pack ripping junkie in me hadn't opened anything in a few weeks, so on a trip to Wal Mart last weekend, a couple of the big packs came home with me.

As you might well expect, inserts were the story. 

Let's start with what are perennially my favorites, the colored parallels:


No golds, camos or pinks to show off, but at least there's a half dozen blues and a couple of emerald parallels that are up for trade bait.  I would have been really happy to add a couple of the emeralds to the SNI set had they been numbered, alas I am not so lucky this time around.  I will say this, I like how the colors of the "sea turtle" mix with the Wal Mart blue, especially the gold of the Kevin Correia card.  If I was more inclined, I might have chased the blues a bit more this year, but I have too much going on to try and partake of collecting a parallel set right now.   These 8 are up for trade...

These next 3 cards are easily my favorites of the 2 rack packs:


Two more sets that I will not choose to collect, but I still think they look cool none the less.  The Willie Mays die cut was a nice pickup out of the packs, along with the '72 mini of Ted Williams.   I'm sure that there's someone out there that would be interested in these for their collections...

The chasing history inserts are OK, nice and shiny looking.  But they are not my cup of tea...


But I'm sure someone out there may be interested in any or all of these.  Speak now, or forever hold your tongue.

I even got my usual assortment of current and former Blue Jays from the 2 packs as well...


Dickey won his 2nd game for the Jays on Thursday, and seems to be picking up some momentum.  I would like to see if Drabek makes a strong comeback from his 2nd Tommy John surgery and rejoin the rotation sometime this season.

I'm sure you're probably wondering why I bothered with the flagship when buying packs this week.  2 reasons:

1.  Heritage---GONE!!  Empty box of looseys is the only remnant of Heritage on the Wal Mart shelves in town.
2.  Gypsy Queen---I'm cheap!  I just didn't feel like shelling out the $10 for a rack pack of GQ.  I'm just not feeling it for the vintage wanna be this year.  I haven't even had the urge to splurge for one pack of it, and I have a feeling that will stay the same way for the rest of the year.

So for the week, $28 spent on 2 rack packs that netted me some trade bait, and 53 cards to complete the 2001 Fleer Tradition set. 

See anything you want here?  Drop me a line.  I bought a box of 100 PWE's a couple of weeks ago, and still have 97 to use...hint hint

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. I'd like those Cardinals blues if you wouldn't mind. Just let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a regular-old rack pack of Topps flagship yesterday, too. And Heritage was wiped out at my store as well. What's the deal?

    GQ can rot on the vine for all I care.

    ReplyDelete