Monday, July 16, 2018

Inbound and Down #44: The Five Tool Collector

I've mentioned a couple of times over the past week about the group of cards that CommishBob from the Five Tool Collector blog had sent my way.  He took better care of the 100 plus cards he sent my way than the Sportlots dealer who I mentioned a few days ago. 

The original group of cards that Bob had mentioned were some '62 Topps cards he had extra just sitting around.


Perfect cards for my '62 set, as I'm not looking to put together anything close to a mint set.  Anywhere around the VG mark for these is good enough for me. 

Love the Don Cardwell card up in the top left, as it appears he's either asleep or not wanting to have his picture taken.


The 2nd scan as you can see cut off the left hand side of the Simmons & Edwards cards.  No matter, as I already mentioned they fit well with the rest of the cards I already have for this set.   Bob sent 2 dozen of these beauties my way; not bad for having put aside this set build for the foreseeable future.


The biggest part of the lot Bob sent my way was the 80+ 1979 Topps cards.   Looking through them just brought back the memories of opening these packs when I was 11 years old. 


I love seeing the old style uniforms.  The rainbow colored Astros in the first scan.  The powder blue road Blue Jays, the brown and yellow Padres, the pinstriped home Phillies uniform. 


It would have been interesting to see what would have become of Mark Fidrych's career had he stayed healthy.  His early seasons as everyone knows showed great promise.

I remembered Ron LeFlore as one of the fastest players from my youth.  I decided to look up his stats and was surprised that his career lasted only 9 seasons.  The '79 season saw him finish 2nd in stolen bases with 79.  This was the meat in between the '78 and '80 seasons that saw him win 2 SB titles, one in the AL and one in the NL with the Expos. 

This lot of over 80 cards knocked just over 10% of the entire set off the want list.   That's enough to make anyone smile....


Thank you for the great package Bob, the cards are really appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. That Curt Flood is awesome! I keep meaning to look for one, but I keep forgetting until I see it on someone's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the sets I've attempted the '62 is by far the toughest to track down in what I think of 'acceptable' condition. My binder cards are almost all about the same as the ones I sent. That's why I was so excited to land a Gibson with four decent corners. There is also the decision on what constitutes a 'complete' set. It's a fun but bumpy ride for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that Gibson you picked up at the show, that's probably the best sample of a '62 Topps card I've seen on the blogs.

      Delete