Sunday, November 5, 2017

The hockey half of my COMC purchase

Maybe half is too strong a word to use.  Hockey just counted for about a third of the order, but for me there was some good stuff in there that took a few numbers off some want lists.


My 1970's want lists really haven't been touched much the past few months, so I picked a trio of cards to make me feel like I'm doing something about those sets.  The 2 71-72 OPC cards bring that set to 1/6th complete, not bad for a set that is probably near the bottom of the set building totem pole.  Just above it would be the 76-77 OPC set, which is represented on the left by Bob Gassoff of the Blues. 


This trio is a little more modern, with Larry Murphy on the left knocking one number off of the 20 year old Players Club want list.  The other two cards are short prints from the 2012-13 OPC set, which still has 90 cards to go. 

I don't remember how long ago it was, but I had the beginnings of a 83-84 OPC set.  What happened to those cards is an absolute mystery to me now, but as I march closer to completing that set, I regret not keeping them more prominent in my collection.  These 7 cards bring me just under having 60% of the set in hand.  What will slow that build down a bit is I need what seems to be a million Gretzky cards, along with most of the Oilers and Islanders from the set. 
I've barely touched the 86-87 OPC set, represented by the Larmer and Malarchuk cards at the top of the scan, but it is one of my faves from the 80's and I'll be sure to have that one completed some day.

Not a bad haul if I do say so myself, and I'll say this about COMC.  I requested shipment on these cards on 10/29 (last Sunday), and I had the cards in hand by Saturday.  6 days including shipping time from Washington state to SE Florida. 

Not too shabby if you ask me.

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. I need the 70s in my life. Whatever drug Topps' artists were on at the time aided the production of the most fabulous cardboard ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2012-13 OPC is a great looking set. I haven't really been focusing on hockey the past few years, but if I ever started up again, I'd probably focus only on OPC.

    ReplyDelete