Friday, July 25, 2014

The last of the final 8 has been determined

It appears that I saved the best match for last in the 1st round.  The voting was tight through the whole week, but thankfully I didn't have to account for any hanging chads or tampered ballot boxes.

With a final tally of 12-10, the set moving on to the final 8 is....

1963 Topps!  This is the one card that I own that probably contains the most star power.  Robinson, Aaron, Musial, Davis and White is a great group of 5, none of them hitting below .323 in 1962.

Now, we re-seed the remaining 8.  I take you back to the original post  and give you the following paragraph for determining the seeds...

After the round of 16 is completed, I am going to re-seed the final 8 sets by the number of votes they received during their particular match.   If there is a tie, it will be broken by the higher percentage of votes (for example, if one set received 24 out of 32 votes, and the other received 24 out of 35 votes, the first set would receive the higher seed).  If there is still a tie, I will put the older set in the highest seed (totally arbitrary and random, I know).

With all that in mind, here are the match ups for the quarter finals:

(1) 1965 vs (8) 1959
(2) 1960 vs (7) 1963
(3) 1974 vs (6) 1969
(4) 1976 vs (5) 1967

Tomorrow will start the next round.  1965 Topps vs 1959 Topps.  A great way to get the ball rolling.

I look forward to reading the comments in this round, because a lot of the pretenders have been weeded out, and the decisions are going to be a little bit tougher this time.  At least I think they will be....

thanks for reading, Robert


4 comments:

  1. 5 from the 60's, 2 from the 70's and 59. I think the blogging community has already let it be known when their favorite cards were made. All 8 are from a 18 year span.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow the '59 has a tough match-up. The '65 is a fine set and will be tough to beat. I'm going to have to work to get out the grassroots support for the '59!

    ReplyDelete
  3. During my drive home from work, I was thinking that I'll get to find out who won between 1963 and 1972... I guess that says a lot for how much these posts have become a weekly event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first match up is a tough one.. I voted for 63 but I'm sad to see 72 go

    ReplyDelete