Monday, July 14, 2014

Bowing in homage to the Colossus

There was a time, not too long ago, that I read a tale about something so gigantic, so tremendous, it was given a name.  The behemoth's name you ask?  Well, it could only be given one name, due to its impressive stature.

It was known as Colossus.  Much like Michelangelo, it only required one name to identify it.  That one name made it instantly recognizable to the masses.

Now, I haven't read the entire tale of the Colossus, but from what I understand it is massive and all encompassing.  Many different pieces and parts just took over from what I've read, and my good buddy Tom had to use up all of his strength just to keep the behemoth in check.

Thankfully, at my doorstep today arrived a small portion of the mythical beast, in the form of 2 serial numbered cards that just happen to aid in the SNI quest.  How Tom was able to separate a pair of Cubs from this creature and send them my way, I'll never know, but none the less I am very appreciative.

Let's look, shall we?


On the left, Evan Crawford is featured in his 2011 Bowman Chrome refractor, serial numbered 700/799.   When I looked up Evan Crawford on baseball reference, I found a pitcher that was drafted by the Blue Jays in 2008.  Interesting... I wound up doing a Google search on him, only to find another baseball reference entry showing that Mr. Crawford has spent the past couple of years in the Frontier League. 

I got a kick out of looking at Carlos Zambrano's offensive statistics during his 12 year MLB career.  Did you know that 6 of his 11 base hits in 2006 were HR's?  In 2008, he hit .337(!) with 4 HR's.  He also pitched fairly well during a 6 season run, winning between 13 and 18 games in every season between 2003 and 2008. 

These 2 Cubs bring the team total to 42, and the set total to 1135 out of 1500.  A card a day for the next year would finish the set. 

All hail Colossus.  Thank you for the PWE Tom, much appreciated.  Best of luck slaying the beast!!

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome. It's too bad many of the serial numbered cards were from UD, Fleer, or Donruss.
    I'll keep my eyes on the look out for more!

    ReplyDelete