Saturday, May 17, 2014

What's next? The tournament begins

As promised, I'm going to start the tournament where you decide what vintage set I'm going to build next.  There are a total of 22 total sets between 1959 and 1980.   I've already built or am close to completing four of those sets (64,73,75,77) so those will be off of the list.  I also have a decent start on 5 others (62,68,70,74,76), but not big enough that I wanted to take them out of the equation.

This leaves the total at 18 sets.   In order to get the list down to 16 teams, the first two weeks will be "play in games", similar to the NCAA basketball tournament in March.  After that, the tournament will be single elimination, knocking out sets weekly until there is only one set left standing.  That set is going to be "what's next?" for me to build.

What I did to determine the initial "seeding" (if you can call it that), is I typed in the 18 years into the randomizer.  After running it through three times, here's the list.


The winner of the 15 v 18 match will receive the 15 seed, and the winner of the 16 v 17 match will receive the 16 seed.

This is where you come in.   Every week I will have a poll on the right hand side of the blog, asking you to vote on that particular week's match.  I will start the week with a post saying that voting is open, and a small blurb on the sets that are involved.

I am going to give something away at the end, and entries will be earned by you, the loyal, faithful blog reader by leaving comments on the weekly match post.  These will be posted on the weekend.  

If there is a tie during a specific week, I will pick one person at random from the comments, and ask them which set should go on.   Simple.

After the round of 16 is completed, I am going to re-seed the final 8 sets by the number of votes they received during their particular match.   If there is a tie, it will be broken by the higher percentage of votes (for example, if one set received 24 out of 32 votes, and the other received 24 out of 35 votes, the first set would receive the higher seed).  If there is still a tie, I will put the older set in the highest seed (totally arbitrary and random, I know).

The 1st play in game should be very interesting, 1968 vs 1961.  That post will go live in the morning, but the poll is already live and on the right hand side of the blog.

Have fun, and may everyone's favorite set win!!

thanks for reading, Robert

11 comments:

  1. That's tough. I chose 1968 because I actually collected it. There are a lot of greats in the set, though I guess that's true of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a huge fan of either set, but I'd have to go with '61.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I dig '61. Can't wait to see the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A year or two ago I would have went with '68, but I've soured on it a bit lately so I voted '61.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 61's .... have been putting this one together myself, VERY SLOWWWWWLY for quite some time,
    reason: Born in 61!!!

    KEEP ON COLLECTING!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voted for the '68 set. Even with the "burlap" (which may are put off by), it's more colorful than the 1961s. Plus, there's 2 more teams!

    Seed #1, #3, and #5 - three of the most colorful vintage sets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voted for the '68 set. Even with the "burlap" (which may are put off by), it's more colorful than the 1961s. Plus, there's 2 more teams!

    Seed #1, #3, and #5 - three of the most colorful vintage sets!

    ReplyDelete