Saturday, July 19, 2014

What's next? :Round of 16: (1) 1963 Topps vs (16) 1972 Topps


The end of the round of 16 is finally upon us.  This is the last match, featuring two pretty solid sets.  The two priciest rookie cards out of 1972 are both multi player cards, but feature some pretty good players who had long careers in MLB.  Today was the first time I had to look over the '63 set, and there are some pretty scary cards in there $$ wise, which has the cheap ass in me worried a bit.


Tale of the tape:

  1.  Set Size:  1963 has 576 cards.  1972 has 787 cards
  2.  Key RCs:  1963  Pete Rose, Willie Stargell  1972 Fisk/Cooper, Oglivie/Cey
  3.  Cost of complete set in NM condition:  1963  $6000      1961  $7000
  4.  Number of cards with high book at $100 or more: 1963: 11 (Rose RC = 1K)   1972: 1 
Blogs:  1963 Topps vs   1972 Topps

Jim from Downingtown appears once again on the blog stats; his 1963 Topps blog is actually a collaborative effort with the Troll and Commishbob both being listed as contributors.  The 1972 Topps blog is unfortunately dormant; the last post there was 4.5 years ago, and stopped at card #135.  [EDIT:  thanks to Jim for the update on the '72 blog, the link has been updated to reflect the '72 Topps countdown blog]

thanks for reading, Robert

23 comments:

  1. Robert,

    There is another 1972 blog that was started last year:

    http://1972toppscountdown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never understood the hobby love for either of these two sets. In my opinion, they are two of the most overrated vintage sets out there. That being said, of the two I would go with 1963 just because you won't have to deal with the ridiculous 72 high numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two iconic sets, designs that scream baseball cards. Because of when I started collecting, the '72 set to me has always been the template for what "a baseball card" should look like.

    It's also the set I'm collecting right now. It's a doozy. But I'll pick that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough choice, but I have to go with '72. It's easily the flashiest design in Topps history and one of my personal favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1972, i like the design and the 3-d look of the team name..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 1972 set was the last I collected as a kid. Even then (as now) I didn't like that the position was missing from the front of the card. As Nick said, the design is very flashy, but in recent years I have come to view this as a gimmick, and not a good thing.

    I'm voting for the 1963 set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 1963 set because it presages the 1983 and 1984 set designs, which to me were the height of my card collecting years.

    So, while I like the art deco feel of 1972, my vote is for 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really liked 1972, although my appreciation for the set has grown a bit over time. Still, I'll root for 1983...errr.....1963.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have strong feelings for either set, but I guess I'll go with 1963. Seems like it'd be a fun set to go after.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both sets... Collected the 72's as a kid. Just completed it a couple of months ago. 63 is my birth year and a set I might attempt at some point
    I'm going with 63

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, this is a hard one. I like both sets, both have their challenges. Pete Rose rookie? 1972 High Numbers? It's really a matter which is of the lesser of two evils.

    I could make an excellent case for either one, and I've been going back and forth on them all afternoon... but I decided to put my mouth where my money is... In my collection I've got 646 1972's but only 35 1963's... I have to go with 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gonna have to side with '72 here. Not a huge admirer of either set.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a fan of the design of the 72 set, so while I usually root for the cheaper set to win for your sake, I am going to have to pick the 63 set.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1963 has two pictures on the front, 1972 has no position on the front, I will go with 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the 72 set the best. The scattered in-action cards in each series are nice, along with the award winners and "traded" subsets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. '63 for me. It's close, I see the psychedelic appeal of the 1972 set which is probably the last set I bought packs of but '63 has some awesome cards, the Koufax, the Musial and my favorite, Hoyt Wilhelm going for it. Mark me down for the '63

    ReplyDelete
  17. A quick glance up the comments and it looks like this one may have to be decided by the electoral college. Hanging chads anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My heart says 1972, but Cardman99's logic has won over my brain. I choose 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My choice is 72. My second set that I collected, I loved the in action cards as well as the overall look on the back of the cards.

    ReplyDelete