Saturday, March 10, 2012

A fellow Blue Jays collector sends me a weeks worth of posts

Good Saturday evening to you all, hope that you've had a great day so far.

Well, Ted from the Crinkly Wrappers Blog has struck again.  If you're a regular reader of Ted's blog (which is excellent by the way), you may remember this post which entailed Ted moving out his excess 2011 in order to bring in the 2012.  It kind of reminded me of those car commercials you see all the time on TV....

Come on in folks, no reasonable offer refused, we need to get these car(d)s off of our lot to make way for the new ones coming in...etc etc etc

Well, as you likely have guessed by now, I am one of the lucky recipients of Ted's generosity.  A great box of cards arrived on my doorstep this past week, and instead of trying to cram it all into one post or two...I got a little creative and divvied it up into 7 posts....The week of Ted you might call it:

Today is day 1....The Shining

Not the movie, the cards.  One of the first things that jumped out at me was that there were quite a few cards that blinded me while looking through the stack.

The top 2 cards are two from the 2002 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Set, Shannon Stewart and Vernon Wells.  The shine doesn't really come out well in the scan, but the cards really do pop in the light, especially the red bar at the bottom of the card.  Below those 2 are a couple of others from the 2004 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia set, Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells.  The scan shows them as being dark, but in fact they are very silvery(if that's even a word) cards, with the reflection being very strong when held to light.  I had never seen cards from either of these sets before, and I must say I like the design of both of them.

These 4 Leaf brand cards are not quite as shiny as the Playoff cards, but still they are great none the less.  The top 2 in this pic are from the '96 Leaf set, and they feature Shannon Stewart and John Olerud.  I like that the frame of the cards features a light bluish color, keeping in line that the players are actually Blue Jays.  The bottom 2 cards are from the '96 Leaf Limited set, and feature sluggers Carlos Delgado and Joe Carter.  I really like how the Blue Jays logo is stamped into the bottom center of the card, and the only thing that would make that look even better is if the stamp was in the team colors instead of gold (but hey, you can't have everything, right?)

There were a handful of other shiny cards in the package, but these were the ones that stood out to me the most. 

Tomorrow's post:   The Canadians

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of shiny (and The Shining)! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete