Thursday, February 14, 2019

Righting a wrong

One of the first hockey sets that I ever put together was the 84-85 OPC set.  There's no mincing words for me here, I love this set.  I will forever regret selling it many years ago.  So, I'm slowly putting it together again.  I've already picked up a couple of the big RC's, Gilmour and LaFontaine.   I'm kind of avoiding the Yzerman, Neely and Chelios rookies for now (although I'm seeing Yzerman RCs right now for ridiculously cheap) and focusing on the commons and semistar cards to knock down the want list.


I've found a seller on Sportlots that I like who offers free shipping for orders of 100+ cards, so as part of my latest order I grabbed a bunch of 84-85 cards.   If you ever want to watch a great special on what it was like to escape from the communist bloc for a professional athlete, find the hour long special that runs from time to time on the NHL Network that features the Stastny brothers.  Peter tells a very compelling story on how they defected from then Czechoslovakia to Quebec City.  


I love that the name and team plates are in the team's colors.  The mid 80's were a great time to be a hockey fan in Quebec, as the Montreal/Quebec series were very entertaining. 


Finding star cards of Islander players for less than 20 cents is always wonderful, so adding Trottier, Sutter and Smith was easy.   I rounded out the order with a trio of cards from the 86-87 OPC set, including Bill Derlago, who was a favorite of mine with the Leafs in the early 80's after they picked him up in a trade with the Canucks. 

86-87 OPC was a set that I never put together, but always wanted to.   I'm slowly picking up cards here and there, but I know that it'll be a long time before it's done as the $200 Patrick Roy RC won't be coming home any time soon.

First things first; righting the wrong that was selling the 84-85 OPC set in the first place. 

I'm a third of way to fixing that....

Thanks for reading!

Robert

5 comments:

  1. This is a great set. Congrats at putting another together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe 84 OPC were printed in abundance compared to other OPC sets from the 80s, which is why so many HOF rookies from that year are so inexpensive now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Good luck on the set. At one point in my collecting years I had that Yzerman, but sold it some time ago (I think when he retired they were selling well).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the greatest hockey card designs of the 80's. It's like the sister set to 83T baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I have a post about the Stastny brothers and their '84-85 cards ready to go and scheduled for this Sunday. You beat me to it! As regards the set, I agree with you. Great design, great colors. I like the Billy Smith card in particular -- kick save, and a beauty.

    ReplyDelete