Wednesday, April 26, 2017

30 Day baseball card challenge Day 2: A card with more than one player on it

With so many vintage sets on the go right now, I have a lot of choices for this particular "day".  My hope this week is to take the time and finish off my '64 Topps set, so I decided to choose a card from the first '60s vintage set that I attempted to build.

I could have easily just shown the AL Bombers card that I picked up a couple of weeks ago, but in the end I wanted to show a card that I've had in the binder for a long time, and to me is a very undervalued and under appreciated card.

1964 Topps #9

How this card doesn't list for more than $30 is beyond me.  2 of the top 5 all time in homers in Aaron & Mays, McCovey still at #20, and Orlando Cepeda is at #79 all time.  All 4 are hall of famers.  I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $30 for this card; whatever I did pay is a bargain.

I want to round out this post with a quick thanks again to Tony from Off Hiatus Baseball for coming up with this idea.  I'm going to enjoy giving it some thought on what to post for each of the 30 days.  Hopefully I can find something for all of them...

Thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic card, especially at that price. A lot of those leaders cards from the 1960's are real bargains (though I dislike the disembodied heads in the '62 set)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three players from one team in the top four of home runs in one hear is about as amazing as this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Topps league leader cards are one of the most affordable ways to collect vintage hall of famers. One of my personal favorites is the 1963 Topps NL home run leaders card. It features five hall of famers: Aaron, F. Robinson, Mays, Banks, and Cepeda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand some of the values out there. Great card. Baseball history.

    ReplyDelete