Tuesday, July 29, 2014

By the page: 1990 Bowman

I have never really paid the 1990 Bowman set much attention over the years.  The 9 cards that I have for this particular page have decent photos, but the one thing about the cards I could never figure out is the back.

No write ups at all.  Nothing but stats broken down by team. 


With inter-league play the norm in today's MLB, these card backs would be impossible to create (or the printing would be so small that nobody could read it without a magnifying glass).

Today's 9 cards were easy to break up into three rows of three.  Posed shots, posed shots with a bat, and game action shots.

Top row, posed shots:


The most interesting character on this line is Bell, who was the main cog in the Jays offense in the late 80's.  George's power numbers were down a bit in 1989 but a .297/18/104 line isn't too shabby.

Middle row, posed with bat shots:


Glenallen Hill never really got a chance in Toronto to play full time.  He wound up being part of a trade package in 1991 with Mark Whiten and Denis Boucher (a very big price that turned out to be) for the rental of Tom Candiotti and Turner Ward.  The Jays did end up winning the division in '91, but were knocked out in 5 games by the Twins in the ALCS.

Bottom row, game action shots:


I decided to take a look at the Junior Felix statistics, and was surprised to find out that he was out of MLB at age 26.  It makes me wonder what happened, because his final season in 1994 he hit .306 with 13 HR and 49 RBI in only 86 games.  He was only 26 at the time, so I wonder why he wound up out of baseball so soon.

With the rows out of the way, here's the final product:


I might be getting the hang of this page creating business.  I've now pulled 76 cards from the box and put them into pages.  A long way to go, but page by page I'll get there.

thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. In retrospect, not Bowman's finest hour. But, I love the '90 set all the same because, well, these were the first Bowman cards I ever knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felix became a free agent after that 1994 season. He played for the Expos AAA team in 1995, then went to the Mexican League in 1996-1998, Korean League in 1998-1999, and Mexico again in 2000-2001.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What really might have been Junior's issue was that he lied BIG TIME about his age? http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-01-28/sports/9303173083_1_angel-manager-buck-rodgers-junior-felix-florida-marlins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, thanks for the link. That definitely explains a lot....

      Delete
  4. I actually don't mind the "vintage" Bowman look. The page looks good man. I just noticed the Ed Sprague card. I met him only once. His wife's parents lived a few houses down from me when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete