Monday, June 16, 2014

Sometimes you have to stop and think

The last week has left me a little stunned to say the least.

I'm currently 46 years old, and I've heard of the passing of 2 baseball players in the last 7 days that were not much older than I am.


Last Monday it was Bob Welch, 57 years old.  Dead of an apparent heart attack.  Owner of one of the best pitched seasons I've witnessed in my lifetime (27 wins in 1990 for the A's). 

Today, it was Mr. Padre, Tony Gwynn:


I was aware of Tony's cancer issues, but I wasn't aware that it had progressed to the point that it was going to take his life so soon.  54 years old.   Way too young.

Tony's passing made me think of my mortality today.  It also made me think of a conversation I had with my father this past December. 

My dad, God bless him, turned 70 at that time.  When I talked with him he told me that he planned to be on this Earth at least another decade.

Between that conversations, and the untimely passing of the gentlemen above, I realized that I don't have a plan for myself.  Yes, I know you can never predict how long you're going to live.  But you can have an idea of what should happen while you're here, and what will happen when you're gone. 

Yea, this is a little deeper than what you should be seeing on a baseball card blog.  Sometimes I just have to get things off of my chest.

And now that I've totally depressed the hell out of you, go and enter Red Cardboard's contest.  He's got some cool stuff up for grabs (personally I'm hoping for a shot at the gold parallels...imagine that!).

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this, Robert. I'm 42, and seeing guys like Welch and Gwynn pass away is jarring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed... I was, and still am, a big fan of Tony Gwynn.. definitely one of the finest players of my generation..

    ReplyDelete