Saturday, September 4, 2021

Card show spoils

I was quite surprised hitting the card show today and finding it as empty as it was.  When my buddy Chris and I were leaving, a quick glance told me that there were more dealers in the location than customers.  I thought that it would have been busier since it was the long weekend and people were advised not to travel as much, but I guess a lot of people didn't follow the memo and did their Labor Day weekend thing.

I have another show tomorrow in West Palm Beach, which I will attend because I'm curious to see what the attendance will be like there.  

Today's show wasn't bad though, there were a few recognizable faces on the other side of the table.  I hit 2 of them and came home with some player collection cards and 1 key rookie card that I stumbled upon.


Still figuring out the new flatbed scanner as the cheap ass all in one printer scanner that I had decided to die a few weeks ago.  I'm very happy with the new scanner so far though as it is quite fast and is compact enough that I can keep it on the desk right next to me which makes it easier and quicker to scan cards.   The 5 Fitzgerald cards were either 1 or 2 bucks apiece, a pair of them being serial #'d/99 and the Xtra Points in the upper left #'d to 100.  Fitz's collection is now up to a solid 430 cards.


I haven't bought anything Joe Sakic related in months, so when I came across a jersey card for $8, I decided to pounce.  The back of this card said that he wore this jersey in 99-00 which was the season that he crossed the 1000 point plateau.  



I certainly didn't head to the show looking to find an Earl Campbell RC from the '79 Topps set.  I was actually asking around for a Kyler Murray RC from 2019 Donruss when I stumbled upon this card.  There's a printing dot in the middle of his hair, but for $20 I felt I couldn't leave it at the show.  I'm just 1/4 through the '79 set, but getting the biggest name RC in the set this early was a bonus.  There are a fair number of $10+ cards in the set, but I'm sure with some patience and digging I'll find them all at a better price and knock this set out relatively quickly.  

Looking forward now to tomorrow's show and what spoils it will bring.  Now that I have a new scanner I can get posting some more (hopefully).

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert


3 comments:

  1. Nice pickups! Odd that it wasn't too busy, although that sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Fitz's. I have always had a hard time finding any cards of his at prices I wanted to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. That Campbell rookie is nice... but that Sakic is nicer. I probably should pay attention to my Sakic PC.

    ReplyDelete