Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Another trade knocks down the '84T set some more

A couple of weeks into the year and I finally got in some cards on a trade from the TCDB (more on that when another trade arrives, if it ever does).   I pulled off my 2nd trade overall with Ben (user ID : BenG76) and nabbed 14 cards from the '84 Topps set. 


I'd totally forgotten that Gene Tenace had played with the Pirates, what I wasn't aware of is that he was born in nearby Russellton, PA which is roughly 30-40 minutes from Pittsburgh up State Road 28.  The Tenace card would be the last of his career as he finished with the Pirates in '83.  I never took a good look at Tenace's stats, and was surprised to see that he had more than 100 walks in a season 6 times. 


In this scan is the Pirates other part time catcher, Milt May.  Milt only got into 7 games with the Pirates in '83, and yet winds up with in my opinion a pretty cool looking card in the '84 set.


Bring back the Expos!  I don't recall ever seeing the Expos wearing those red uniforms during the regular season, I'm guessing that Mike Vail's photo was likely taking during spring training.  Although the stadium in the back drop might say otherwise.  What say you card sleuths?

I also took a quick look at Larry Bowa's card back, and he looks every bit of the 2000+ games that he'd played through the '83 season.  Bowa would finish with 16 seasons and 2247 games played to wrap up his career, after that managing over 850 games to have an incredible total of over 3000 games as part of a major league team.

48 cards to go to finish this set.  The next Sportlots order should take care of most if not all of the cards, save the Don Mattingly RC. 

1 trade down, 99 to go.   Thanks Ben!

Thanks for reading.

Robert

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching May, Summers, and Leonard back in the day at Candlestick... and of course cheering for Gross at the Coliseum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've loved about putting together the sets from 78-84 lately, I remember all of the names but end up surprised at some of the places they played (see Gene Tenace above for example).

      Delete
  2. The jersey Mike Vail is wearing could be what the Expos used for batting practice, at least according to this mlb shop jersey listing: https://www.mlbshop.com/montreal-expos-tim-raines-mitchell-and-ness-red-batting-practice-jersey/p-34737387122915+z-9413-728012749

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Gregory, never thought of digging around on mlbshop to see if they could be found!!

      Delete