Sunday, October 7, 2018

Getting the hang of this trading thing

It was cool to get a repeat trader already on the TCDB website.   Bill (User ID: minibbcards) has helped me reduce my minis in hand (a good thing for me) and also decrease my want lists for vintage sets (also a good thing).

This time, I shipped off 15 minis that I had recently added to the site, and in return I received some 69 and 70 Topps cards


When I looked at the Joe Rudi and Sal Bando cards on the scan, I thought that my scanner had gone berserk.   I looked at the cards again in hand, and they are that blurry. Will have to check if there are upgrades to these cards out there. 

These 5 bring my '70 set build up to almost 40% done, not bad for a set I never intended to collect in the first place.


This was the bulk of the deal for me, 7 '69 Topps cards, along with an added card that I needed from this year's A&G set of Method Man.  I wondered for a moment about the airbrushing on the A's players hats/helmets, then I thought that maybe they had moved to Oakland and the KC needed to be removed.  Sure enough that was the case.  

I always remember Rick Monday as a Dodger, hitting that home run off of Steve Rogers in Game 5 of the 1981 NLCS.  What I didn't remember about that game was that the Expos had a chance to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th after drawing 2 walks off of Fernando Valenzuela, the Dodgers brought in Bob Welch out of the bullpen to get the save.  Interesting that both sides used a starting pitcher as relievers in the 9th inning to finish the game. 

My '69 Topps set progress has been slow, but it's finally almost at a quarter complete.  Out of all the sets I'm working on at the moment, this one might be my favorite because the design is so simple and the pink backs look fantastic.  I guess the simple sets are the most appealing to me, as I thought the same thing about the '64 set while I was putting it together. 

Thank you for the trade Bill, looking forward to our next one!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. If you ever do get upgrades for the Bando and Rudi, I'd love to trade for those out of focus copies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I hear the name Rick Monday... I think of the LA Dodgers. Then immediately after that... I think of him saving the US flag from those protesters.

    ReplyDelete