Friday, October 19, 2018

Chipping away

Haven't had many big hits to the want lists lately, everything that has come my way has chipped away at different sets.   I pulled in two envelopes today, both of them hitting cards from three different want lists.

A few weeks back I had starting putting cards from the 83-84 OPC want list in my Sportlots cart, and then got sidetracked and forgot about them.   I went to the site on Sunday night and finished up a 14 card order for cheap.


A couple of rookie cards on this page, both costing me only 50 cents (Bellows and Ludwig).  Seeing the Ray Neufeld card reminded me that the Carolina Hurricanes are going to wear their vintage Whalers uniforms when they play in Boston this year.   If the NHL is smart, they will find a way to get some Whalers jerseys for sale on their site.  I'm pretty sure they will sell out quickly.


You'll see a total of 15 83-84 OPC cards in this post, because I was digging through my collection the other day and found the Guy Carbonneau RC you see in the upper left corner.   Saved me a few bucks!  Love seeing the old style Canucks uniform with the V; I wanted a black one back in the day but never did manage to get it. 


I believe the entire order consisted of cards that were either 25 or 50 cents, which for me was very reasonable.   I have 8 more of these coming in my next COMC order (due early next week), which will drop the want list below 20 cards, with several of those being Gretzky cards.   I'm hoping to have the set done before 2018 ends.

Next up is another TCDB trade, this time with John (User ID: herkojerko---I like that ID btw) who grabbed a few Philadelphia Phillies cards out of my trade pile in return for some 78's:


and some 79's:


My 79 set is nearing the halfway mark, needing only 46 more to get there.  My favorite card of this group is the Bud Harrelson; not only does he have the cool shades working, and he's also showing a nearly lost art by choking up on the bat for this photo.  John, I really appreciate the trade and hopefully we can do more in the future.

There's nothing wrong with chipping away at sets, I'm hoping that I can keep on doing this as my luck with finding cards/trading partners has been the best it has been in quite a long time.  I know of 3 more packages that are due my way next week which should put some more dents into my multitude of want lists. 

There may also be 1 or 2 lists that disappear altogether.

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment