Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Some dents are worth incurring

Over the past two and a half months, I've been chipping away at a lot of different sets with my latest COMC order.  Most of the stuff I've showed so far just put little chips and nicks in those want lists.

Tonight's display puts a major dent into my '59 Topps want list.  It seemed as if each time I logged onto COMC there were a few more cards put into the cart from the '59 set.

Before I knew it, I brought home 37 cards from this fabulous set...




Chuck Tanner's card reminds me of the decade plus I spent living in his hometown, New Castle, PA.  I regret never having gone to his restaurant which was within a 2 mile drive of my house.  Maybe one day I'll stop by there on my way up north....





I did really well with this group of cards, the majority of them are in VG or VG-EX condition which fits in with the majority of the set I've put together so far. 

This group of cards gets me down to just 122 cards remaining, almost 80% done.  I'm hoping that I have enough commons and minor star cards left to pick up to get me to the 500 card mark by the end of the year.  The big names such as Mantle, Gibson, Maris, Musial et al will likely have to wait until next year when I hope to finish off the set. 

I've been building this for so long now that I was beginning to think that I'd never have thoughts of finishing.  This lot of cards changed that in a big hurry, and for that I am glad....

Thanks for reading, Robert


4 comments:

  1. They are very impressive all lined up like that. And very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Billy said... love seeing all of the colors in this post. And those team cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! The Mudcat Grant is one of my favorites from '59 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep trying to talk myself out of going after this set (seems like a lot after already deciding to go after '57 Topps), but dang.. sure is a nice looking set.

    ReplyDelete