Monday, March 5, 2018

That's 400 down

The want list assault continues with this portion of my COMC order.  The first portion of this post is just a small sample of '74 Topps, just 6 cards.

Every little bit helps, right?


My worry, as is probably the same as most of you out there, is that buying vintage off of sites like COMC can be risky because even though the scans are high quality, the cards aren't in hand when you're buying them.   Unlike attending a card show, you can't see 100% for yourself what exactly you're getting.  So far so good with this order, I haven't come across any stray creases or missed corner problems that I've encountered here and there in the past.


I worry more about cards like '59 Topps.  These 6 look great.


I worry more, but should expect less, right?  A 60 year old set is bound to have more flaws, dings and creases.   But these 6 also look great, at least to me...


I know that the '59s on this order weren't purchased all at once.   A bunch of them were picked up during the Black Friday sale, and I think I went through another buying binge of '59s in January.  The biggest flaw so far?  The yellow "smudge" on the Ruben Amaro card.  Smudge is probably not the correct term, but that's what it reminded me of.  18 up, 18 down as far as nice condition.


Sal Maglie is probably the biggest name in this 26 card lot, which is OK because there's still a fair number of commons still to purchase.  I wonder what Sal was looking upwards for...


These last 2 make the total of '59 Topps in hand hit the 400 mark.  Or for those of you that are into percentages, I'm just 1 card away from the 70% completion plateau.  Much like the way I described the '64 Topps set as I came closer to completion, the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to get a little brighter.

Now to put them away and see if we finished any pages...

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. "buying vintage off of sites like COMC can be risky" That is true but I've rarely been disappointed in the vintage I've bought from there. Maybe at first, when I didnt know what I was doing. But I've found some nice '59s on there myself. Your Willard Schmidt looks sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I'm gonna have to go after '59 someday.. sure look great together.. And no offense to Sal Maglie, but I'd say the biggest name here is HOFer DIck Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is aggravating when you find a crease on a card that looked perfectly fine when you reviewed it online. Fortunately it hasn't happened often, but I can think of one example that I'm still stewing over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a couple of cards that have had creases that I never spotted previously. Sad part has been each time I go to review the photo online and look again, and sure enough the crease was easy to see.

      Delete
  4. I sure hope Eduardo Rodriguez is warming up. Otherwise Mr. Bando is not paying attention on that 74T card.

    ReplyDelete