Thursday, March 1, 2018

15 more off the want list

To keep my little posting roll going, I've decided to chop up the COMC order into a few pieces.  I decided to start with a couple of years close to each other, 1969 & 1970 Topps.


I was quite happy to get the 2nd series checklist, featuring Bob Gibson, for less than a buck.  There aren't any creases or marks in the boxes on both sides, so it's a big win for me.  I'm probably going to pass on '18 Heritage so anything that I pick up from '69 Topps this year will be my Heritage.


Didn't mean to buy 3 Expos out of the 7 cards, it just worked out that way.  I had no idea that Maury Wills played for the Expos, so it was off to the baseball reference website to look up the stats.  Turns out that he only played a part of the '69 season with the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge before being traded to the Dodgers with Manny Mota for Ron Fairly and Paul Popovich.


Tug McGraw is a name that many of you will know, especially from the World Champion Phillies in 1980.  I was curious about Wayne Granger, as I hadn't remembered the name.  Turns out he was a rubber armed pitcher for the Reds at the time, throwing in 90 games for the '69 Reds, saving 27 games, and then 35 more in the 1970 season. 


As you can imagine, I was most excited to get the Killebrew/Howard/Jackson league leaders card.  Even better, I paid just 68 cents for it.  I looked at the back to see the # of homers they hit, and the race was close!  49 for Killebrew, 48 for Howard and 47 for Jackson.  There were two others that managed 40 in the AL that year (Petrocelli and Yastrzemski for the Red Sox) so so much for the poor offensive numbers that prompted the DH. 

Is it Nick that loves players bunting on cards?  That Tim Cullen card shows the art of bunting perfectly.

Just 15 cards off the want list here, but I'm developing a greater appreciation for these two sets as each card comes into the house.

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. That is a well taught bunt stance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the '70 set this past fall. I need to see what dupes I have. I bet I can help you out at least a little.

    ReplyDelete