Monday, July 18, 2016

Acronym free?

Back in April, Gavin at the Baseball Card Breakdown blog dared the blogosphere to write a post using pen and paper, instead of a keyboard.  Surely an art that is lost on us bloggers who have spent years at a keyboard.

Recently, while reading the news/entertainment stories on many websites, I realized something that also seems to be a lost art.  Writing without the use of acronyms.  We've become a society that has become accustomed to writing and reading stories using an acronym in order to reduce the amount of words that people have to read.  POTUS is one that I see more and more now.  President of the United States is something you would think that should be typed out of respect (even if you don't care for the leader of the free world)...

I would say that I'm as guilty as the rest, especially since my posts are sports/sports card related.  It's easy to type HR, RBI, and many other acronyms that predominate the sports writers vernacular.

I wondered recently if I would ever be able to type a post acronym free.  Not just one of my little three line posts that I use on my Player Collections blog, but a real post with a few hundred words about an actual topic.  Maybe this week I'll try to do just such a thing....

In the mean time, here is another page of Serial Numbered Insanity cards, the 6th for your perusal.


#46:  Chase Utley, 2008 Topps Co-Signers #46/400.  Courtesy of Dennis from the Too Many Verlanders blog.  Philadelphia card #1
#47:  Vladimir Guerrero, 2009 Topps Ticket to Stardom #47/50.  Courtesy of Ted from the retired Crinkly Wrappers blog.  Los Angeles Angels card #3
#48:  Dustin Moseley, 2003 Bowman Chrome refractor #48/170.  Courtesy of Mark from the Chronicles of Fuji blog.  Cincinnati card #2

#49:  Michael Wuertz, 2011 Topps gold #49/2011.  Purchased on ebay.  Oakland card #2
#50:  Matt Cain, 2008 Topps Co-Signers #50/400.  Courtesy of Dennis from the Too Many Verlanders blog.  San Francisco card #2
#51:  Prince Fielder, 2008 Topps trading card history #51/400.  Purchased at a card show.  Milwaukee card #1

#52:  Michael Hills, 2002 Topps finest refractor #52/299.  Courtesy of Brian from Play at the Plate.  Houston card #2
#53:  Ramon Hernandez, 2007 Topps Co-Signers #53/75.  Purchased at the 2002 NSCC.  Baltimore card #4
#54:  Carlos Zambrano, 2009 Bowman orange parallel #54/250.  Purchased at the 2002 NSCC.  Chicago Cubs card #2.

See, I was only able to get through the first 7 cards of the post before I started using acronyms.   National Sports Collectors Convention could have been easily typed out twice...

I'm now down to 7 teams that haven't been represented as of yet, this will change with the next post/page.

thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. I was looking something up on Beer Advocate recently and the review had sooooo many acronyms. I knew maybe half. Fangraphs has a ton as well, but they have a glossary page explaining in detail what each mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series reminds me.. I have a serial numbered card that I'm on the fence about...
    It's 67/ one of the camo parallels from a couple years ago..
    67 is my favourite number.. The card is of a member of my least favourite team.. Keep or not? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can sell it or trade it for something that will help your collection.

      However, if you have a collection using the #67, it would definitely fit.

      I guess it's up to you to decide what's more important...

      Delete