Friday, August 30, 2013

Sticking with it

I am a person with not a lot of patience. There are times where I've started collecting a particular set, and when it wasn't completed timely, I got tired of it.  That being said, there has been a couple of times in the past few months where I wanted to "blow up" a few of the older sets I've been working on, because they've been on my want list for way too long.

I wanted to forget about them altogether.  Start anew. This is a post about one set that I'm glad I didn't blow up. 

The purchases that I've made over the past few weeks have helped me to remember my roots.  What I really loved to collect back in the 90's, and still do today.

Hockey.  (I'll wait until most of the readers have moved on before I continue...)

Still there?  Good.  I'm glad you stayed.  Let me explain something.  Hockey has always been my first love.  During October, I've watched Leafs games before I watched a MLB playoff game.  I guess you could say it's in my DNA.

I'm sure that a lot of you are going to tune me out more this winter, as I shift my focus somewhat towards hockey.  I get it.  Baseball will return in the spring, and I'll be ready to tackle the vintage baseball sets I've been working on. 

But I'm happy that I'm going to be enjoying myself just as much, if not more than I did when I started putting together sets such as the 95-96 Collectors Choice Players Club parallel.

The lone hockey card in my last Sportlots envelope

I'm sure that there's a lot of you out there who have no idea who Doug Bodger is, but when I see these cards, the memories come racing back. I am happy that I stuck with all these old parallel sets that I started two decades ago, because they remind me of the fun that I had then, and the fun I'm having now.

Fun.  It's a word you're going to be seeing more around these parts.  If it's not your cup of tea, I'm sorry.

Enjoying the hobby again, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment